It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Muscular Dystrophy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

michigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB User
Transition: Walking has gone from difficult to near-impossible

I need to vent ! Able bodied people just can't understand, try as they may. Walking has been hard for 2 or 3 years now. I'd get tired after 100 feet and just have felt generally weak when walking. But in the last 2 or 3 months, all of a sudden I can't seem to walk at all. I have to use a walker. The cane doesn't cut it anymore. I feel like my legs won't hold my weight. It takes all I've got to not get depressed. I know you all understand this. I'm way more frustrated than depressed. But frustration's not fun either. Anyway, I'm hanging in there! I know you'll all at different stages of this, and some of you close to the stage I'm at. Okay.....thanks for listening.

Mark

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
(female)

kew17 HB User
Re: Transition: Walking has gone from difficult to near-impossible

Mark,
{{hugs}} It's a difficult time...I know! I will say that once I got my powerchair, my life changed 10 fold for the better. I got some independence back...I got my life back. As we've discussed before, we learn to adapt easily. I hope you have the same experience or better. I keep you and all of you in my prayers!
Kelley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2008, 07:39 AM   #3
(female)

Madalot HB User

Hey Mark --

I'm really sorry that you've gotten to this point. Sometimes I think that it would almost be easier just to have all this come down on us at once rather than gradually. But I'm sure those that have total disability come down at once might not agree. LOL

Have you made any progress with a powerchair or scooter?

For me, when I realized that my mobility was slowly decreasing, I went ahead and got the chair so that I would already have it when it got this bad.

Stay strong, Mark. We're here for you.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:44 PM   #4
(female)

dkbladez HB User

Hello all,
Mark I can feel your pain. I was just thinking today, should you ever give walking? I can still walk with a walker but it takes so much out of me. I try to walk to the bathroom, but sometimes, like today, I'm just like forget it, bring my potty chair to me, lol!!!! I guess we have to keep on trucking until we just can't. I also try to make sure I listen to my body and not to the people around me, who mean well but they just don't seem to understand that when you can't sometimes you can't. You're not giving up but you're just not up to it at that point. I have good days and bad days, just like everyone else. I'm so glad there is a place for me to vent too!!!!

Closed Thread