It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Muscular Dystrophy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2008, 02:59 AM   #1
(male)

fishing911 HB User
Hello just joined this board

Hi,

My name is James, I am almost 39 years old, and was diagnosed with Becker MD when I was 23. I had symptoms as a child (gower sign, enlarged calf muscles, etc), the symptoms were never recognized by doctors in the small town I grew up in. I went through teasing as a child because of enlarged calf muscles.... I was able to do most physical activities, but had difficulty with doing chin ups and running long distances. Was tormented by elementary school P.E. teachers who would tell me I was just "sorry" and even told my parents that. Was the victim of some mental and physical abuse by my father because of my inability to do certain physical activities. I made it through middle school and was successful at being in marching band. I didn't really start having any difficulty until I was 19 years old and was having difficulty climbing stairs. After being told by a general practitioner that I was just weak and needed to excercise more, I still didn't believe this diagnosis. I met a woman when I was 22 that was a physical therapy assistant and she noticed my gait was different and saw some of the compensating I was doing for muscle weakness. She knew something was wrong and suggested I tell this quack doctor I was going to that I wanted a referral to a neurologist. Well, it wasn't long before I was given a diagnosis of MD. Was told at first it was possibly Limb-Girdle, but further DNA testing showed it was Becker. I am still walking now, but with some difficulty. I have seemed to be really progressing in the last 3 years. I have had more falling incidents and I fell back in April 2008 and fractured the L-1 and L-4 vertebra in my back. I had 2 compression fractures. It has been a long 5 months recovering from it by letting it heal on it's own, but I am making it. My MDA neurologist recently has suggested getting a scooter or power chair to assist me in getting around better when long walks might be required, etc. As I have found wheelchairs make it easier to get around airports, power carts at stores make it nicer to shop especially if it is a large store.

I found this board while doing some searching about elevated liver enzyme levels and MD. I am glad I found it, I am hoping I will be able to converse with others, learn some things, and maybe help others who are dealing with MD. Sorry, if I rambled, but I wanted to get my story out there.

Last edited by fishing911; 09-14-2008 at 03:23 AM. Reason: wanted to add more info to my post

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2008, 05:54 AM   #2
(female)

Madalot HB User
Re: Hello just joined this board

Hi James --

And welcome to the board. You'll definitely find people here that have similar difficulties.

Your childhood sounds similar to mine, although I was never abused by family or friends. I was teased a lot and had a lot of teachers say the same things to me. I was called lazy sometimes and in early adulthood, was taunted by a physical therapist once when I couldn't perform strength tests to her satisfaction.

Like you, a medical professional noticed my difficulties when I was in my mid to late 30's and HE said that I needed a full evaluation by a neurologist. Even then, I saw 2-3 different neurologists before I got my diagnosis of MD.

It's interesting what you said about elevated liver enzymes. I was diagnosed with those in my early 20's.

I look forward to getting to know you (and other new posters) as time goes on.

Kathy

Closed Thread