It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Muscular Dystrophy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2009, 08:50 AM   #1
(female)

dkbladez HB User
Portable lifts

Hello All,
I was interested in getting a portable lift. I was wondering if anyone uses one or have used one. It will primarily be used when I am traveling, but I will also want to use it around the house when I am feeling weak ( and I can't get off the toilet). Please let me know if you have any experience with any!!!

Old 10-06-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
(male)

HoppyGator HB User
Re: Portable lifts

About the portable lifts, I am looking for something like that, too. I have a "Stand-aid" for the toilet that works great. And they make one that you can move to another location, but it's very heavy. It's almost permanent. I want something for traveling. I haven't traveled more than 30 miles away from home in two years. I am a 63 year old man and have had this for about 7 years, but the last two years have been the most progressive. I also have a lift for the pool which I love. Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

michigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB User

Hi "dk" !
This has been an issue for me as well. Probably for the last 6 months or so. I'm not quite ready to get a lift but I did come up with a solution to get me off the toilet. I had been using one of those 5" plastic rings on the toilet. This worked well for about 2 years then suddenly it wasn't enough. This is so often the case that the adjustments are no longer enough help. This got me very concerned because I'm home alone all day.

One day a simple solution occurred to me. I bought a second ring and fastened the 2 rings securely together. This now gives me a 10" booster seat in the bathroom and can be carried in a large pillow case to take to a hotel. etc. It took a bit of getting used to sitting so high because just my toes touch (I feel like a 2 year old in training!). But I can get right off of it. Hopefully this will work for another year or two.

I know this doesn't answer your question but maybe my solution will help someone.

Mark

Old 11-09-2009, 07:13 AM   #4
(female)

dkbladez HB User

Hey Mark,
Its amazing how we can improvise. Let I tell everyone, my body may be weak but my brain is too strong, lol!!!!

Well I used a Hoyer Lift a couple of times. I thought it was a bit much since I don't lay in the bed. And you have to lay down to get hooked up to that. It is quite cumbersome but it does get the job done but it just was a little too much for me.

I am now getting a standing lift, that lifts your from a sitting position. Hopefully this system will help me better.

I will keep you posted.

Closed Thread