It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Muscular Dystrophy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
(female)

Georgia gal HB User
why does muscles aches starts when you lay down at night?

why does muscles achs starts when you lay down at night on my thighs and legs

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2009, 05:01 AM   #2
(female)

Madalot HB User
Re: why does muscles aches starts when you lay down at night?

I can't answer the why, but I can share that I have the same problem.

I have been diagnosed with a Limb Girdle Muscular Dystrophy (which exact one we don't know). I have minor pain on and off during the day, but at night? Oh my goodness. Sometimes the pain is so bad I'm almost in tears trying to get to sleep.

I talked to my neurologist and he put me on gabapentin daily for the pain, but even that doesn't always solve the problem. He gave me another pain medication and I take that when it's really bad, which is usually is every night.

Mark (Michigani) has done a lot of research and has a lot of good information about Muscular Dystrophy and the symptoms that go with it. Hopefully, he'll drop in and respond here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
(male)

mansapro HB User

Good day to you, I am in prosess of diagnosis and have same symtons. Keeps me up most nights.Please share any helpful info with me as I am also desparate for a solution to this problem.
Thank You. Bryan

Old 07-10-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

michigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB User

Hi Georgia Gal,

This is Mark (mentioned above). I have collected data on 70+ muscular dystrophies. Stay tuned and I will post back soon if I find anything in my papers about your specific symptoms. Hang in there......I know this MD thing can be very uncomfortable. (I'm living it, LOL).

take care and check back in a day or two,

Mark

Old 07-15-2009, 09:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

michigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB User

I looked over my data. There's no specific muscular dystrophy that has "nighttime muscle aches" as a symptom. However......this is a rather common reported problem with MD patients. People suffering with this disease have muscles that do not work like a healthy person's. It's a bigger problem than just weakness. Our muscles don't store energy, recover or repair themselves. Simple everyday activity can cause cramps, aching and discomfort. If I go grocery shopping, sometimes I wake up the next morning feeling like I was digging ditches all the day before.

Lactic Acid could also be to blame. It builds up in your muscles during and after strenuous activity. Runners and other athletes get it and that's why they do a "cool down" after an event or a workout. MD patients usually "plop" into a chair or into their bed after a hard workout because they can barely stay on their feet.

If possible, try to do light exercise. Keep your muscles stretched and active. It's hard when they hardly work anyway but I've found it helps.

Mark

Last edited by michigani; 07-21-2009 at 05:47 PM.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #6
(male)

mansapro HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia gal View Post
why does muscles achs starts when you lay down at night on my thighs and legs
Good day to you,
As I do have similar problem and after much though I have come to the conclusion that it may be caused by muscle loss which exposes nerves and blood vessels to pressure. I am seeing it this way and hope to explore further my next visit to neurologist. This was mentioned to me by my neurologist.

Cheers Bryan

Last edited by mansapro; 07-22-2009 at 09:51 AM.

Closed Thread