It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Muscular Dystrophy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2009, 02:00 AM   #1
(female)

cola777 HB User
muscular dystrophy

Im wondering if anyone can help me.I know muscular dystrophy is genetic.The question I want to ask is: My son is 3years old.My mother inlaw had muscular dystrophy, so what are the chances he will get it? I do notice he gets now and again cramps in his legs but I am also aware children get growing pains.Where do I need to take him if I would like to find out if he has it or not?

Old 07-18-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

michigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB User
Re: muscular dystrophy

Hi cola777,

First let me say I wish you the best and that this is not MD. I am an adult male, 48 years old with the illness.

The worst form of childhood Muscular Dystrophy is called Duchenne's. It is usually apparent in toddlers at the time the child first attempts to walk. And it's most apparent in boys. Duchenne's is usually passed from a mother that does not know she has the bad gene. The fact that your mother-in-law has MD means something may have been passed on, most likely not Duchenne's if it's anything.

The best thing to do is to contact your local Muscular Dystrophy clinic. They are the experts and can help you. They know how to diagnose MD and can give you answers.

Muscular Dystrophy currently has no cure but great advances are being made just in the past 1 or 2 years towards treatment and a cure.

Good luck to you and your little boy.

Mark

Added - I'm sorry, I just noticed that you live in the UK. Hopefully there is a Muscular Dystrophy system set up over there that can help you. If not try to see a neurologist that specializes in muscle diseases.

Last edited by michigani; 07-18-2009 at 09:44 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread