It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Muscular Dystrophy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
(female)

Jayhawk9 HB User
Question Musle Biopsy

I am scheduled for a muscle biopsy in September. I am pretty sure it will be taken from my leg. The nurse indicated I would need a few days off after having it and maybe a week. Did you all find this to be true? I guess I didnt think it would be too big of a deal but now I am wondering. I work on my feet all day long so I am pretty sure I will too sore to be on my feet all day long anyway. Any comments?

Old 08-20-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

michigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB User
Re: Musle Biopsy

Jayhawk,

I've had two muscle biopsies. The first when I was a teenager in the 70's. That one was a surgical cut of muscle from my left front quadricep, about an inch long. That one was painful for several days and I couldn't put weight on my leg for the first 48 hours. My second biopsy was in 2002. That was a needle byopsy in which the doctor numbed the right front quadricep, much like the dentist numbs your mouth, and extracts the sample through a large hollow needle. The doctor took 4 samples. I walked to my car 30 minutes later. My thigh felt the same as if I had a bad bruise that needed to heal. Like I'd been hit with a line-drive ball. Something like that. The 2002 procedure itself took 2 minutes with 15 minutes prep and recovery each side of it. Hope this info helps. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2009, 08:57 AM   #3
(female)

NP74 HB UserNP74 HB UserNP74 HB User

Hey Jayhawk,

I had a muscle biopsy in my quad and my bicep two years ago. I was put under, and the Dr made and incision in each, The one in my leg was about 2 inches long, and the on on my arm was about an inch and a half. I was put all the way under. I had the next day off from work already, but went to work the second day after the procedure. If you are on your feet all day, you may want to wait a couple of days. Looking back I would have been better off taking a few days off, mostly because of the fatigue not so much the pain. They give you meds for the pain.

P

Old 08-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
(female)

Madalot HB User

I have had two muscle biopsies. The first one was done in 2001 and was taken from my left thigh. I have to say that it was pretty sore for several days afterwards, probably because of walking on it. I had it done on a Friday and planned to go back to work on Monday, but it was still very sore and I took that extra day.

My last one was taken from my left arm at the end of July. I think he picked that muscle because of all the difficulty I'm having walking and didn't want to make that it worse. Plus, I am right handed so my left arm seemed the most reasonable choice.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
(female)

toeoff HB User

I had a muscle biopsy in my left leg on July 10, 2009 (a Friday). The procedure itself was unpleasant but only lasted 15 minutes. Walking was difficult for the first 1-2 days, but I didn't have a problem walking on the third day. The site was quite sore but I have a desk job and was able to get back to work by Monday. I would recommend having help for at least the first 2-3 days. If you have children, get help for at least a week. It's better to over prepare and dismiss help than to under prepare and need help.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
(female)

COLOGAL HB User

Jayhawk9, not sure if you have had this done yet or not, or if you'll even have a say in it, but during my muscle biopsy (taken from my arm) the Dr. took two samples and froze one. not sure why but I was glad he did so if they need another one for research or whatever, they wont have to go back in. Painful afterwards, yes but I have a low pain threshold and it wasn't unbearable (thanks to pain meds.). Good luck! I dont know if you have had an emg, but that bothered me more then the actual biopsy proceedure as they numb you up real good for the biopsy part.

Last edited by COLOGAL; 09-13-2009 at 09:18 PM. Reason: adding additional info

Old 09-14-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

michigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB User

I had 4 pieces taken and frozen. We did ALL KINDS of tests over a 3-4 year period. I was so glad I didn't need another biopsy for those tests. But let me say, by the 4th year when they used the final piece, it was pretty deteriorated and barely usable. Many modern tests (within the last year or two) can be done with a much smaller piece which is good news.

Closed Thread