It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Muscular Dystrophy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2010, 06:47 AM   #1
(female)

NP74 HB UserNP74 HB UserNP74 HB User
The little things

Hey all,

I usually write here to complain and let you all know how miserable I am, but I just thought I would share some recent experiences with you. To me they are big things, and my husband is very proud of me!

I contacted one of the leading neurologists back home a while ago, just to hear stuff in Danish as well. She told me that with LGMD 2I I am allowed to work out at 80% of my recommended heart rate (220-your age or something like that), and that there really is no limit to how much I can work out. I got a pulse monitor and started a fairly hard work out program after Christmas. I work out in a hot water pool every morning (as I have done for nearly three years). In addition to my usual "light" weight training in the water I have also added jogging in the water. I started slowly on the jogging about a year ago, but have now increased my jogging to about an hour a day in the water. In addition to that I also ride my exercise bike for an hour every night. At night I am now able to keep my pulse at the 80% for most of the hour. Pushing myself a little has turned out to not be a bad thing, at least for now.

In addition to losing a lot of weight, I have also noticed small increases in my strength and functionality on a day to day basis. Walking has become a lot easier, when I feel safe my speed has increased a lot. Yesterday I also noticed a thing, that I am sure you may be the only people who can appreciate. I was able to put on my ear rings without leaning up against a wall, I stood in the middle of the room and put them on. I was able to keep my arms raised to that level without assistance. I know that to "normal" people this may seem like nothing, but to me it means that I am able to somehow increase, and maybe regain some of my lost strength. It has become easier to do my hair, and I have a lot more physical energy than I have had in a long time. My trainer at the pool thinks that I physically have become strong enough to walk up the stairs to get out of the pool, but that the connection between my muscles and the brain has been lost.

Now I just need to get the chemicals in my brain to stop playing games with me, so I can move on and hopefully find joy in life again!

P

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread