It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Muscular Dystrophy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
(female)

skyla76 HB User
Unhappy Getting out with MD

OK so last weekend I wanted to take my son to the zoo with his father,I just got up the courage to go back,we went last year and I promised myself I would never do that to my family again,reason we had to park 4 blocks away it took me 45 minutes to walk 4 blocks because We had to keep stopping because of me.This was before being diagnosed,We finally made it and i findout they don't have motorized scooters only manual wheelchairs,And it was hot and I didn't want husband to have to push me the whole way so I just decided to sit on the bench I missed the whole zoo cause I was sitting on the bench so last weekend I checked zoo's website and they now have scooters only problem is they want $45 TO RENT THE SCOOTER which I think is unfair.It's $35 for tickets to get in per person fo adults and $28 for kids plus 45 for the scooter.I wouldn't complain if my only source of income i wasn't SSI. Why do I feel like I'm being punished because i'm disabled.I know people probaly will say bring my own scooter but I don't have one nor a van to put it in for outtings maybe I'm just overly sensative but don't you think they should charge less?:

Old 04-16-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

michigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB User
Re: Getting out with MD

skyla,

$45 sounds really steep! I'm actually appalled at that price. Shame on them and i agree with you. Wheelchairs and scooters should be complimentary to disabled patrons (at least with a doctor's note.....I carry a copy "to whom it may concern" with me all the time). If not complimentary, at least something reasonable like $3-$5 tops!

Walking is out of the questions for me now. I've sat many an hour on a bench at water parks or in the car at a shopping mall while my family was having fun leaving me to people watch.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
(female)

Madalot HB User

Skyla & Mark --

I am 100% with you on this one!! Before I got my chair and van (skyla -- I spent a lot of time without it and it took me a long time to figure out how to get all of it), I had the same problems.

I remember going to an amusement park and trying to walk it with a cane. I was getting so tired and my family was getting further and further ahead of me. I tried to catch up and kicked my cane out from under myself! Down I went and got all banged up. Another patron ran and caught my family and told them that I had just fallen down and to come back! I fell right in front the First Aid Station and had to be cleaned up and bandaged up.

We spent the money the next day and I rented a scooter -- $40 -- but I couldn't handle another day walking, plus I couldn't risk falling again.

I feel your pain skyla -- I really do.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
(female)

dkbladez HB User

Skyla,
I totally agree with you. I have to rent a van for my brother's wedding and you would not belive the how much it is to rent a wheelchair accessible van. It's ridiculous, I had to get a credit card just to pay for it. So I'm going to use the card, pay it down and use it again for my next trip. That's the only way I will be able to get some places. It's not fair but it's the only way I'm going to be a part of society until I'm able to get my own van. So I feel your pain. Try to do advance planning so you will have the money to afford the equipment you need. Also check with the MDA, they may have one you can borrow. Good Luck!

Closed Thread