It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Muscular Dystrophy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
(female)

Monnie45 HB User
peoples attitude

One thing that really bothers me is some peoples attitude. I work in a dental office and one of the dentists criticizes for my lost of strength. She started by criticizing me for working slowly, even tried to take my hand and pull me along. I was also critized because I walked down stairs slowly. After I found out I had MD2 she continued. She told me I need to excercise more to build up muscle strength. I dread having to go up stairs when people from work are around. What do I say to these people.

Marlene

Old 06-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

braveheart226 HB User
Re: peoples attitude

I'm so sorry to hear this, Marlene. I work in a dental office too. I guess the bottom line is that some people are more concerned about getting the job done quickly than they care about the person doing the job. Do your best....that's all you CAN do.

Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
(female)

dkbladez HB User

Hello Monaie,
As you have learned some people can be so insensitive. I would only explain to the people worth explaining to. It's hard for people to understand what we are going through especially when we look perfectly healthy. Just do whats safe for you and don't worry about trying to impress people or prove to people what you can do.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:49 AM   #4
(female)

Madalot HB User

I agree with everything said here, but I also know that sometimes it's hard to ignore people you work with. I'm assuming that the people in your office are aware of your situation. If that is the case, the way that dentist is treating you would be grounds for a serious complaint to Human Resources or the Office Manager, whichever is appropriate in that venue.

I think if it were me in your shoes, I would try talking to that dentist and explaining that your situation is very difficult and would appreciate not being given medical advice. You already have a doctor that cares for you and your MD and are doing the best you can. Ask her to stop with the comments and if she refuses, file a complaint with the appropriate people.

I'm not positive, but I'm guessing that her comments and behavior towards you violate ADA.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

michigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monnie45 View Post
One thing that really bothers me is some peoples attitude. I work in a dental office and one of the dentists criticizes for my lost of strength. She started by criticizing me for working slowly, even tried to take my hand and pull me along. I was also critized because I walked down stairs slowly. After I found out I had MD2 she continued. She told me I need to excercise more to build up muscle strength. I dread having to go up stairs when people from work are around. What do I say to these people.

Marlene
Are you kidding me????!!!!! I cannot believe she would treat you that way. (Actually, I DO believe you). I'm just outraged and very sorry. Sorry for you and sorry for her. She must have lived her life so far with no exposure to illness or disease. Or she was born with no compassion.

I don't wish her any misfortune but in 49 years I've observed that the people who are the least sympathetic are the ones that cry loudest when something in their own life goes wrong.

I was very blessed with coworkers who were devastated, helpful and understanding when they learned of my illness. Your boss must be a real peice of work.

Make sure she FULLY understands the nature of your MD and that it is progressive and incurable. If she indeed realizes that and STILL treats you this way then she's a jerk and she's exposing herself to serious legal ramifications. And I do realize you may not want to go that route because it's your job.

Is there more than one dentist in your office. Perhaps a compassionate one that you can talk to about this other's behavior?

Good luck Marlene. I am furious about this. But your Healthboard friends are here for you.

Mark

Closed Thread