It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Muscular Dystrophy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
(male)

newtonx HB User
lgmd

Hi

In 1992 I was diagnosed as having LGMD. The problem is that no body in the family or related families has MD of any kind. THis gives me some impressions that there's something caused the LGMD. Now there's suspicious that I have Addison Disease.

Do you think there's a relation between the two diseases?

Old 07-17-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

michigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB User
Re: lgmd

Hey newton,

I am 49. I have LGMD (exactly which of the 20 something LGMD types we don't know). My dad had LGMD too. He was the first in the family to ever have it. I have traced my family tree back to the 1700's and there's no mention of the illness in his family. Sometimes a bad gene can lie hidden for many generations and sometimes something can mutate the gene as the embryo is developing. Sometimes just a combination of the right (or wrong) two people can produce a child with MD.

Many people like my dad and others on this board find themselves saying "But nobody else in my family has it!" Unfortunately it just shows up sometimes.

MD is a genetic disease. You are born with a DNA mutation or deletion that causes it, either as a child or later in life. I've never in all my years of research heard of anyone "catching" MD or being exposed to a situation that "causes" MD. But I guess it's possible.

Addison disease, from what I know, is a problem with the adrenal gland. Muscle weakness is one of many symptoms. An EMG or muscle biopsy could possibly rule out MD. They would show muscle wasting, not just weakness. Talk to your doctor(s). Hopefully they could do some testing if they haven't already. Best of luck.

Mark

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread