It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Muscular Dystrophy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
(female)

NP74 HB UserNP74 HB UserNP74 HB User
Horseback riding

Hi guys,

I hope you are all doing well. I am doing OK. The other day I went horseback riding with an organization for people with physical and developmental disabilities. I didn't think I would be able to ride the horse, I was sure my core would not be strong enough to hold me up. When I go there, there was no ramp either so I had no way on getting on to the horse. Well... When most people were done riding, a couple of people came and said they would help me out. One guy lifted me onto the horse (yeah, I feel sorry for him), and I was very happy to find out that my core is strong enough to hold me up on a horse. I tried horseback riding about a year and a half ago, and a combination of fear, but also lack of strength/coordination of my core muscles made me get off right away.

Horseback riding is supposed to be really good for us, and I can only recommend that you look into similar problems around your home.

P

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

michigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB User
Thumbs up Re: Horseback riding

P,
That is so cool! I'm glad you were brave enough to try and also that you were able to ride. I don't think my legs would work well enough to hold me on but I definitely still try whatever I can. Good for you!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2010, 06:16 AM   #3
(female)

NP74 HB UserNP74 HB UserNP74 HB User
Re: Horseback riding

Mark,

To me it appeared to be more of a core muscle issue, but I am sure it is different from person to person. My legs are fairly strong but my core is what needs more work. They do have special saddles to help people out etc. I am going to take my husband at some point so he can try as well.

P

Closed Thread