HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Muscular Dystrophy (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/muscular-dystrophy/)
-   -   Limb-girdle LGMD - fingers going limp and unable to grip (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/muscular-dystrophy/824225-lgmd-fingers-going-limp-unable-grip.html)

Yogaman 11-19-2010 06:37 AM

LGMD - fingers going limp and unable to grip

I was just wondering whether anyone has any problems with finger tips/grips. I am 46 with LGMD and I cannot walk anymore and have been confined in a wheelchair since last Aug 2009. And now my finger tips have started to go limp and finding it harder and harder to grip is this normal with progression? has anyone got similar symptoms that I have.

michigani 11-19-2010 09:48 AM

Re: LGMD - fingers going limp and unable to grip

Hi yogaman.

To answer your question: Yes. Absolutely. I have LGMD. I am 49 and I'm still walking with difficulty. I use a walker and a scooter to get around. It sounds like my MD is just a little bit behind your case in progression.

Just recently I have begun to notice that my grip is weakening. I am having more trouble opening bottle tops, jars, sticky drawers, etc. I cannot snap my fingers anymore and could once snap them quite load. If my fingers get a bit chilled I have a very difficult time tying my shoelaces and doing buttons.

This is definitely part of the MD progression, I am afraid. Also I can now barely wiggle my toes. I can curl them downwards a bit but cannot point them upwards at all anymore.

Feel free to post here often. It's a great place to compare notes.

Mark

Yogaman 04-14-2011 10:26 AM

Hi Mark,

It's been some what 5 months since I last spoke about the issue with the weakness in my fingers. I have never personally been diagnosed, as to the type of LGMD i have. I have since found the following script that outlines the type I may have "A new form of autosomal dominant limb-girdle muscular dystrophy (LGMD1G) with progressive fingers and toes flexion limitation maps to chromosome 4p21". Would it be right to rule that this is the type I have. Presently my fingers are only affected, but my toes seen to be functioning ok.

Regards

Yogaman

michigani 04-14-2011 10:54 AM

Hi Yogaman,

I CANNOT believe you mentioned LGMD1G !!! - I came across an article about type 1G myself about a year ago. I searched the internet for days for any info on that particular type. I collected every piece of data I could find, and brought it to my MD doctor. He agreed that my clinical symptoms fit LGMD1G almost perfectly. I even see in my old notes that I highlighted "chromosome location 4p21".

However, at this time the specific gene is unidentified so there is no test available. And I think there have only been a very few patients. The type LGMD1G was actually assigned to a group of 12 individuals within a family of Brazilian-Caucasians in 2004. But it's still at the top of my list if a teast ever becomes available.

If I learn anything new on 1G I'll post it here.

Take care,

Mark

Yogaman 04-16-2011 12:44 PM

Mark

Thanks for the information. I only found this information myself last week, as I could not understand why my fingers were being affected by LGMD. I just found it to be a bit odd.

Thanks Again

Yogaman