It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Muscular Dystrophy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
(female)

Monnie45 HB User
Living alone

Hi, I am 65 years old, diagnosed several years ago with myotonic dystrophy 2and at this point my symptoms are not life altering. I am still working as a hygienist, getting tired, though and ready to retire. I have difficulty with stairs but live on the lower floor of a condo, no steps. My real concern, though, is that I live alone. Although my symptoms don't seem to progressing fast I am frightened. I have daughter who lives several miles away and another about 45 minutes from me. I don't want to be dependent on them. My CPK is around 600-700 and I wonder if that indicates how fast the disease is progressing. Any imput?

Marlene

Old 11-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

michigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB User
Re: Living alone

Hey Marlene,

Blood CK, also know as Creatine Kinase or CPK, also know as Creatine phosphokinase, is an enzyme that is found within muscle cells. When a muscle cell is ruptured or dies the CPK leaks into the system where it's carried away by the bloodstream. Normally the CPK level in a healthy person is 80-120. If a weightlifter has a hard workout and wakes up sore the next morning his level might read very elevated...500-1000 because he has damaged some of his muscle cells. In HIS situation however, the cells will be replaced with new cells plus a few extras for good measure. In our situation, MD patients won't replace the damaged cells

I have LGMD. My CPK was always 500-550 when first diagnosed. Now it's around 350. I contribute this reduced level to the fact that I no longer have nearly as much muscle mass.......millions of fewer cells to damage.

Some Muscular Dystrophies have extremely high CPK levels. Duchenne's for instance can have CPK readings of 50,000 - 100,000 because the nature of that illness is that the cells are falling apart by the millions.

Your level is not too high which generally means a less aggressive and slower progression disease. I know this was a very technical answer but I hope it helps.

I am impressed that you live alone. I couldn't possibly in my colonial home. I am lucky that I have a helpful and patient wife and daughters.

Take care,

Mark

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread