It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Muscular Dystrophy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 03:44 AM   #1
(female)

mandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB User
Latest medical mishap

Hi there

I hurt my shoulder yesterday while putting on a strap top.

The pain short through my shoulder like I'm sure lightning would strike you, the same kind of pain

I had my scapula fused to my breast bone years ago and every now and then I get pain in that shoulder - so nothing new

So took some pain killers but the pain persisted. I could not turn on my left shoulder the whole evening that caused the right part of my body going numb every now and then

This morning the pain was so bad I went to go see the dr

The dr thinks I tore a tendon.

All I done was put on a top when the pains shot through my arm not like I was operating heavy machinery.

I got a cortisone injection into the shoulder and was told if the pain is not gone by tomorrow the tendon is probably torn and I would have to go for an operation

According to him I've placed too much strain on my shoulder when I get up

So injection later (ouch and ouch again) and the pain is still there

I fear the worse. I cannot go for an operation - being a single mom I need to take care of my boys

Funny enough it is not a MD problem but this daemon could be the cause of the strain I placed on my body all these years

Then on top of it all he advised me the same could happen to my right shoulder

What next????

The following user gives a hug of support to mandy37:
NP74 (01-27-2011)
Old 01-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
(female)

NP74 HB UserNP74 HB UserNP74 HB User
Re: Latest medical mishap

Oh Sweetie!!! I do live in Dixie after all (I know you are in SA , Dixie is what we call the "South" in the US, if you ever read or saw Gone with the Wind, you will know what I am talking about).

I cannot say how sorry I am that this happened to you, of everyone you don't need it since you have the boys to take care of. I am hoping and praying that it is not torn. I had a cortisone injection for tendonitis in my shoulder last year, and they said to give it a couple of days before calling back as they were not sure there wasn't a small tear. A day seems like an awfully short time to see if the cortisone works.

Hopefully they will say the same to you. I am not sure how the healthcare system is in SA, but if possible insist on an MRI before they send you home. Surgery should be the last resort for you! If it is not torn it will be painful for a while, and you will need to take it easy, but it should heal. The most important thing, which we both know is impossible, is to not overuse it, but ice it about 20 min an hour whenever possible. If heat feels good my pt told me that I can switch between the two. I am not a Dr and what works for me may not work for someone else.

Oh yeah it is ironic how MD is not painful etc etc etc, but there are so many secondary problems because of it as you just said, and the secondary problems can be quite painful!. A friend of mine once said that the only good thing about me having MD is that we get to park in first parking spot ;-)

Keep us posted I am thinking about you and praying for you.

P

The following user gives a hug of support to NP74:
mandy37 (01-27-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
(female)

mandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB User
Re: Latest medical mishap

So true that parking spot is such a blessing )
I'm going to give this shoulder a few days and see how it heals
Since you had the same problem I'm sure I can follow your advice
I'm so high on pain killers that it kind of makes it worthwhile - hehe
The dr was just worried because of my pain my pulse and blood pressure went through the roof
I'm still in a bit of pain and now and then a sharp pain wakes me up a bit
I'm sure I'm fine - just got a bit of a fright that a diagnoses was made so quickly
My boy rubbed some deep heat rub into my shoulder - I don't know what was worse the shoulder pain or the sinus pain from the cream ) Boy oh boy it does get hot.
I'm sitting here in a much better state - thanking you for the advice I'm definitely going to follow up on and will keep you up to date
Maybe some vodca with that ice is not such a bad idea - pity I don't drink...

Closed Thread