It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Muscular Dystrophy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
(female)

NP74 HB UserNP74 HB UserNP74 HB User
Compensating and how to deal with associated pain

Hey Y'all,

I was wondering if you guys also suffer from pain experienced from the muscles that compensate for our weak muscles? My biceps muscles and tendons in the front of my shoulder and upper arm are very weak, but until now I have compensated by using my trapezius, triceps, scapulas etc however, this constant overuse of those muscles have caused me to have near constant pain in my upper back, shoulders, and neck. Today I have a major tension headache from the pain and tension. I am not one to sit down and take it easy, but have had to today. Usually I just go about with my day, and ignore the pain etc, as using the "back" of my shoulders and arms have worked just fine.

However, over the past couple of weeks things have become "heavier" and the pain has increased significantly. Do you have any tricks? Have any of you brought this up with your Dr's to see if there is anything that can be done? It is actually the only noticeable progression I have experienced in at least three years, so it is very hard to deal with!

Just wondering.

P

Old 02-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
(female)

mandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB User
Re: Compensating and how to deal with associated pain

Hi

Oh yes I have the back, shoulders and neck pain. I had severe neck pain some time ago for months and I bought a pillow advertised by Verimark - what a blessing!!!

I went to the dr last month with severe shoulder and neck pain and I'm pulling the tendons due to the overworking of my muscles. I was given a cortisone injection that helped.

My back pain I've had for a long time when I stand to long. I bought an electric recliner that I use as soon as I feel the pain starting.

I still have the shoulder pain but sitting in the recliner also works and elevating your arm over your head for a while helps as well.

I've lived with pain for a few years (mostly back) and what I mentioned above is what worked for me.

Hope this bit of info helps - but believe me you will find ways to help yourself might just take a bit of time and swear words.

M

The Following User Says Thank You to mandy37 For This Useful Post:
NP74 (02-08-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2011, 04:16 AM   #3
(female)

NP74 HB UserNP74 HB UserNP74 HB User
Re: Compensating and how to deal with associated pain

Hey Mandy,

Thanks a lot for your input. I had a cortisone shot myself last year, and it did help, and I have found out that heat and otc painkillers can help somewhat. "THankfully" it is only my upper back and shoulders that hurt right now, I can still stand up and work all day if I need to. I will get into further detail in the other post as I have some potentially bad news.

P

Closed Thread