It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Muscular Dystrophy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
(female)

NP74 HB UserNP74 HB UserNP74 HB User
Bad shoulder pain

Hey guys,

I just have to vent a little as usual. I mentioned a while ago that my shoulders often get sore etc and I wondered how you guys deal with muscle pain caused by imbalances etc. Well, I think my biceps are just about done, they feel incredibly weak, and my shoulder pops out of the joint at times due to the tendons no longer being able to hold it in when I lift heavy (heavy???) stuff. Last week I nearly dropped a plate because my shoulder gave out.

I have never before had to stop what I was doing because of pain and weakness. I have felt sore and had to take a pain killer every now and then (apart from the shoulder pain), but the past two weekends, I have had to stop working because of pain and weakness. Until now I have been able to work all day cooking and cleaning etc, but today all I could do was do the dishes and make the chili for tonight's superbowl party. I love to cook, it is my way of de-stressing when I feel bad. I can spend days alone just cooking and pawning the food on to other people as I have no desire to eat it myself other than just tasting it. When done with the chili, the pain in my trapezius, and scapular muscles was so bad that I had to take two kinds of pain killers and put heat on my shoulders. Last week one painkiller was enough.

Another thing that upset me, however, was that when I dried my hair, I was unable to keep my hand up long enough to dry the top left side. It has never happened before, I also had to lean up against a wall to be able to hold my hands steady enough to put on eye makeup.

I know these are vanity issues, but it hurts none the less. At least my husband has agreed to learn how to do my hair and make up..... I worry about when I will not be able to drive any more, my physical therapist said I am still OK.

P

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

michigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB User
Re: Bad shoulder pain

Hey P,
I can relate to some of this. My shoulders, especially my right one, always ache. I put a huge amount of stress on my right shoulder climbing my 13 stairs every night. I swing my left foot onto the next step then lay my right forearm on the handrail and push with all my might. It hurts my shoulder but it's the only way. I used to alternate feet but I can't do right foot first anymore. My left arm is too weak. My right shoulder aches all the time now. I just take a couple Motrin but only on bad days.

When showering, I must hang on with one hand at all times. So I must soap up, wash my hair and then towel dry with one hand. It TAKES FOREVER!!!!! - I almost don't want to shower in the morning because it's a 40 minute ordeal. It used to be 10 minutes a few years ago. But I force myself not to be tempted into giving up showers.

I too love cooking but that is getting hard. Standing for more than 15 minutes or so does me in.

It sucks doesn't it, that the MD is bad enough but we must deal with this other nonsense as well.

Well.....hang in there and take care.

Mark

Old 02-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
(female)

Mark, I am sorry about the shoulder pain you are experiencing as well, I am actually going to call a Dr this week to figure out what I can take, that will not interfere with my antidepressants and mood stabilizers.

It really sucks, I have been really close to throwing in the towel lately, I really struggle with seeing a future, and feel that my husband would be better off without me. He is young enough to find a new wife with whom he could have a "real" life with kids etc, and not this excuse for a life where he has to help me with everything!

I am slowly working my way up, but I think I am dissociating (if that is a word) myself from life, and the only times I react to stuff is actually when I see myself in a mirror or a store window. It is really odd, but I just can't stand to see myself, I hate what I look like, and if I happen to be walking, it immediately causes some kind of an emotional breakdown, I nearly had one in a store the other night, but I managed to make it to the car before I started crying. What I see is a short little fat and ugly girl, who walks like a duck!!!I try not to look at myself but it is hard not to get into those situations as most stores have windows in their doors.

Last night I stayed home from a birthday party because I was afraid to go to the restaurant in case they had a window in the door, and because I did not know all the people there. I am turning into a little bit of a recluse, I just want to be alone, and am just fine with it.

Arrrrghhh I wrote a novel again!

P

Old 02-07-2011, 11:44 PM   #4
(female)

mandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB User

Me again

I've experienced everything you are mentioning.

What I do. I get helped onto a high chair when I do the cooking as this helps my back from hurting too much. It is a bit of a hassle sometimes but hey it helps

I sit down on my recliner with my legs up and put the ironing board on my legs in front of the TV and iron my clothes (very comfortable I have to say)

I sit on my bed and lean on pillows on my bed to blow dry my hair - it takes a bit of time but you do get there

I have a side table next to my bed where a place a big enough mirror and lean against my pillows on the bed and do my makeup. I still come out there looking well sometimes "hot"

You will learn do start doing all these things as I mentioned before.

I also use painkillers now and then but it makes me miserable so I stopped taking it. I'm just doing things an "easier" way to eliminate pain and use my recliner that believe me makes a hell of a difference.

So far I'm okay but when something new happens I try and use a different method and believe me you will get there.

Patience is the virtue (cliché!!)

Old 02-08-2011, 02:45 AM   #5
(male)

Renfred HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NP74 View Post
Hey guys,

I just have to vent a little as usual. I mentioned a while ago that my shoulders often get sore etc and I wondered how you guys deal with muscle pain caused by imbalances etc. Well, I think my biceps are just about done, they feel incredibly weak, and my shoulder pops out of the joint at times due to the tendons no longer being able to hold it in when I lift heavy (heavy???) stuff. Last week I nearly dropped a plate because my shoulder gave out.

I have never before had to stop what I was doing because of pain and weakness. I have felt sore and had to take a pain killer every now and then (apart from the shoulder pain), but the past two weekends, I have had to stop working because of pain and weakness. Until now I have been able to work all day cooking and cleaning etc, but today all I could do was do the dishes and make the chili for tonight's superbowl party. I love to cook, it is my way of de-stressing when I feel bad. I can spend days alone just cooking and pawning the food on to other people as I have no desire to eat it myself other than just tasting it. When done with the chili, the pain in my trapezius, and scapular muscles was so bad that I had to take two kinds of pain killers and put heat on my shoulders. Last week one painkiller was enough.

Another thing that upset me, however, was that when I dried my hair, I was unable to keep my hand up long enough to dry the top left side. It has never happened before, I also had to lean up against a wall to be able to hold my hands steady enough to put on eye makeup.

I know these are vanity issues, but it hurts none the less. At least my husband has agreed to learn how to do my hair and make up..... I worry about when I will not be able to drive any more, my physical therapist said I am still OK.

P
Hello dear member, you should check it out properly maybe it's inner problem and your shoulder pain's is from the inside of the bone. Or may be there is some type of the problem that involves the skin infection or skin tissues damage inside the shoulder.... Just check it deeply and throughly..........

Old 02-08-2011, 05:23 AM   #6
(female)

Thanks I will look into it.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:40 AM   #7
(female)

Hola Chica,

I do sound like a broken record don't it? I mentioned in my response to your last response to me, that I potentially had some bad news. As you know I often suffer from depression etc, and in addition to therapy I am on a pretty hefty cocktail of antidepressants and mood stabilizers. January was a really tough month for me, in addition to extra therapy my psychiatrist also made changes to my medicine, and kicked me in the behind and told me that if I did not stop being so hard on myself he would have to put me in the hospital. I stayed out of the hospital, and my mood is slightly better. However, one of the changes he made was to wean me off of one of my mood stabilizers and slowly add in a different one. Over the past few weeks my hands have gone from a slight shiver (side effect of many of the drugs), to shaking most of the time, enough to make my husband, friends and students notice. My PT and I spoke about how strange it was that the extreme pain and weakness came on all of a sudden and not gradually at all. In addition he was also concerned about the shaking and slight dizzy spells. I checked the side effects of the new drug, and shaking, dizziness, as well as muscle weakness can be potential but serious side effects! I called my Psychiatrist right away, both to ask which pain killers I can safely take along with my ADs but also to ask if I needed to be concerned about the symptoms. It could be withdrawals from the med I am being weaned off of. He was not in but should be getting back to me today, he is really good at that, and a pretty decent guy! However, I got a little nervous about the whole thing and decided to leave a msg for my neurologist and the response I got back from him was to stop taking the drug immediately.

So far I don't know if what I am experiencing are side effects, and if so, are they reversible? I would really hate to have had my MD progress because of the side effects of a drug, but I guess the mood stabilizer in some ways is as important as trying to stop the MD from progressing, but right now I am just a little scared!

:-(

P

Closed Thread