It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Muscular Dystrophy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
(female)

swimmermom HB User
son has symptoms but normal emg?

Can anyone help, my son (16) has developed some of the symptoms of FSHD - eyelids don't close all of the way when he sleeps, scapular winging, his right pectoral muscle is atrophied, he has tricep weakness and serratus anterior weakness but his emg was normal ??? He complains of feeling tight and weak all of the time.
He is a competitive swimmer and the sports med drs can't find anything wrong except these bizarre symptoms that they don't understand (ie he has no tears, no tendonitis, bursitis etc) In my research I turned up FSHD but his emg is normal....
Can you have a normal emg with FSHD or does having a normal emg definitely rule out FSHD? Any help is much appreciated!

Old 02-27-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

michigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB User
Re: son has symptoms but normal emg?

Hi "mom"

The symptoms you describe seem classic for some kind of MD. But an abnormal EMG is also usually found in muscular dystrophy. A normal EMG would be unusual as far as I know. (And I've researched hundreds of hours and articles learning about my own form of MD). Never stop asking questions and demanding answers. Another simple and inexpensive test is a blood CK test. If CK enzyme is leaking into the blood it is an indication of muscle cell failure (muscle disease). Find a neurologist that specializes in Muscular Dystrophy. I hope you find an answer and I wish your son the very best of luck.

Mark

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
(female)

swimmermom HB User

Thanks for replying, I really appreciate it!
His CPK levels were slightly elevated ... 220, but he is a swimmer and they say athletes have higher cpk levels from all of the training. When he first developed symtoms 8 months ago we took him to the nuerology department at a Childrens hospital (but he didn't have the scapular winging and pec muscle atrophy then) and the neurologist (after a normal emg) refered us to sports med... we have been at sports med for 8 months with no answers. He just had another emg done that was normal, but that adult neurologist said we should get him checked out for for fshd or mysenthia gravis the only things he knew that might present with eyelid problems, scapular winging and pectorial muscle atrophy... when I called the Childrens hospital neuro again they said "but he had a normal emg..." and its 3 months from now for an appointment...
they told me to try RA dr... but his ANA's are normal, so they said maybe pain management?

If you have visible atrophy and weakness how is the emg normal? Something is really wrong but I can't get any dr that wants to figure it all out... it is so frustrating...

Old 02-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

michigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB User

There IS a blood test for FSHD. I would try to get that test run if anyone is willing. Insurance will usually pay if the neurologist prescribes the test. The symptoms you describe truly sound like FSHD. I have had LGMD for 10 years and I know a lot of MD patients. (I'm 50 years old by the way. Mine was a late onset type). And you are right about the CK levels. exercise breaks down muscle and leaks trace amounts of CK into the blood. 220 is within an athletes range. Mine is usually 500 or so. 80-120 is considered normal.
Never give up asking for answers. Have you looked at other possibilities such as MS? I hope it's not and the symptoms don't really fit MS.
Mark

Closed Thread