It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Muscular Dystrophy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

michigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB User
Does this happen to anyone else?

Does this happen to anyone else? A few months ago I fell stepping up into our dining room from our sunken family room. No harm done, I wasn't hurt. Then, the other day it almost happened again. I started to fall backwards and my daughters boyfriend grabbed me at the last second. Now, all of a sudden I am scared to try the step. I start shaking in my shoes (socks actually) when I'm about to try the step. Sometimes I actually chicken out and won't attempt it. I hit a mental wall telling me I'm going to fall. This is bad because the family room is where we "live" and enjoy the TV, the fireplace and my lift recliner. It's had me a bit depressed for a few days.

This has happened in the past as well......the day I became afraid to step down a curb in a parking lot.....and the day I became afraid to attempt the 8" step out of my side door.

It's like all of a sudden my adjustments don't work anymore. Something I do everyday is suddenly impossible and finds me asking "what am I going to do???"

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: michigani
Dreaman (05-12-2011), NP74 (03-06-2011)
Old 03-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
(female)

NP74 HB UserNP74 HB UserNP74 HB User
Re: Does this happen to anyone else?

Mark,

I could have written this thread myself, I especially recognize what you said about the curb. I have never fallen off one, but one day, after someone asked me I was able to step off curbs I questioned it, and since then I have been afraid to step down. I will slowly lower myself down while leaning on the car. All I need is to have someone stand there and I am no longer afraid.

A couple of times I have lost my balance while getting into the car, so I was left with my feet on the ground, and the rest of my body lying down across the front seats. A pretty bad position, and my core just isn't strong enough to get me up, and once I was stuck there for nearly an hour before my husband could make it home and help me up. For a long time I was really scared to get into my car, but I have overcome that as my car is my lifeline as I am sure it is for you as well.

I am sorry about the living room incident, it really must be frightening, and I definitely understand why it depresses you. I really hate that I can't tell you that everything is going to be ok, but we both know that would be a lie. So hang in there Mark, you are a pretty tough cookie!

P

Last edited by NP74; 03-06-2011 at 06:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2011, 07:00 AM   #3
(female)

Monnie45 HB User

Hmm, I think my fear of stepping on the escalator was the same thing......read my question. The level steps seem to go so fast that I was afraid to step onto them. My girlfriend says I shouldn't look down, just step on.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:22 PM   #4
(female)

Monnie45 HB User

I do understand. I am in fairly good shape now but do have difficulty with stairs. I am feeling more strain going up a curb and if I am descending from a curb, I have to be very careful. I did fall once on a steep curb and tend to ask for help if it is very steep. What if you have a railing to hold onto, would that help.

Marlene

Old 03-07-2011, 09:56 PM   #5
(female)

min446 HB User

hi,

it do happen to me too. Especially the fear of getting off the bus after falling off the bus a couple of times and having difficulties getting up myself. But because i have been having constant uncontrable fallings even on flat ground.. It has becomes part of me. But my neurologist and PT are helping me reducing my falls with some reminders and tips (e.g. railing is a MUST, up the stairs with stronger leg and down with the weaker leg.)

Do take care!
Cheers,
min

Old 03-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

michigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB User

Unfortunately railings don't really help anymore. I just have no muscle left in my legs to get up and down steps and curbs. When I had 50%.....even 30%, I could get up steps and curbs with difficulty. Now I have between 5%-10% of the strength that I should have. I can only walk hanging on to something solid and I must keep my knees locked. No power at all to bend my knee and push, or even hold my weight for that matter. (But I've gotten used to this predicament).

This is why I have surrendered to my scooter, which I love, because i can cruise all over on it indoors and out without fear of falling or getting exhausted. When the time comes to finally get a scooter, please don't fight it!

Last edited by michigani; 03-10-2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: sp

Old 03-08-2011, 11:08 PM   #7
(female)

mandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB User

Hi

Oh yes that feeling of fear overcomes me all the time when I see a curb

I cannot get up or down one without holding onto someone just for that support - my balance is sooo bad I fear walking alone at home nevermind a curb

My family has about 8 steps at the front door to get in.

There is a railing on the right side (only one) but all of a sudden this railing became too low for me

I go to lunch every Sunday (family day) and I get up the curb holding onto the car.

Because of unlevelled surfaces to the front door I hoot for my dad to come and "fetch" me and walk with me to the front door and I hold onto him up the stairs.

Going down those stairs I have this utmost fear as I've fallen down them already (before I needed help)

I actually start shaking and sweat for the fear of falling forward. It my foot touches the stair the wrong way I fall. My poor dad has blue marks on his arms from me already

I have 2 huge steps at my back door and I have not been outside in my back garden for such a long time.

The stairs is just too steep and I cannot get myself to even go down them with help.

Being such an optimist this is one thing that gets me a bit down knowing I have to get up or down stairs.

When I went house hunting I found the most beautiful house but with a sunken lounge needless to say I didn't buy it. So I understand your fear and frustrations.

All I need to do these days is rob a bank and place ramps and railings everywhere
I go

Anyone want to join me I have a scooter as a "get-away" vehicle

Old 03-09-2011, 01:29 AM   #8
(female)

min446 HB User

hi,
I totally agree.. curbs and steps are my upmost fear now.

It is pretty sad to be staying in a country with loads of bridges. Getting up/down the flight of steps alone made me feel bad enough. But having an old lady besides me climbing up/down faster than me is a mental torture. As they will never fail to give me the face filled with dozens of ?????. And if i happen to overworked my arms/ hurt them... the difficulty of overcoming the steps increased tremendously.

What most saddening is that I no longer be able to hang out with friend for outdoor activities or trips.. fearing of slowing them down and most importantly the sight of steps.

And yes, sometimes i wish i could transform the steps and curbs into ramps with railings... =p

cheers,
min

Old 03-09-2011, 08:20 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

I found a temporary solution:

I discovered that if I leave a solid dining room chair in just the right position I can easily use the chair as a railing of sorts. Since this discovery yesterday I feel much safer stepping out of my sunken family room, and it's much easier too. So, I have my problem fixed temporarily anyway. (As long as my family doesn't mind the chair sitting out).

As for stairways.....everyone thinks I am crazy but I always descend stairways backwards. I place my forearms on the railings then slowly lower my right foot down. Then the left. I feel very safe doing this and should I fall it would be forward belly-first onto the steps. But there is no fear or sensation that I'll fall.

The idea of me trying to descend a set of stairs forward would be terrifying and impossible. I have no quadriceps to control the descent.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:47 AM   #10
(male)

DCM1 HB User

I am probably at a much earlier stage than many on here but I have had step and curb issues before.

I am luck as I don't have any stairs in my house, although there is a step up from the footpath outside. Feels awkward alright bit I still manage it ok by supporting myself with the door handle.

Football stadiums have become a major problem. Much depends on the height of the steps. Some of the larger grounds with steeper steps are a complete no no. I was at a football match in England a few years ago (Old Trafford). It was a bit of a trauma as I realised I could'nt really go up the steps as they were too steep. Was lucky as I did'nt have to climb many of them. Those are the worst as there ar'nt any handrails inside stadiums. If I went now I would'nt be able to even manage it.

Another one was that as part of my Civil Engineering degree we used to go on site visits. They could sometimes be difficult due to steep steps and curbs. Suffice to say I have since realised that a change in career path will be necessary when I complete this year. Me in a site would be a real danger and as a civil engineer as its impossible to avoid dangerous situations.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

"DC"

I was a Civil engineer as well. I finally had to leave my job. I was 45 at the time. We were constantly visiting job sites which required climbing stairs, walking bumpy fields, and jumping up and down truck docks. It became impossible. I did the desk for a few years then got to the point where I could not even attend meetings or get in and out of my own building which had 5-6 stairs to get in it. Legally I could have forced them to build a ramp and make the building accessible but that isn't my thing. Luckily, I had been purchasing private disability insurance for years which pays about 95% of my old salary.

Best of luck.

Mark

Old 03-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #12
(female)

mandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB User

I feel so bad hearing about Civil Engineers being forced to quit their jobs. It is a position that is a passion for you the complete opposite as a bookkeeper being able to work from home

I have a question today: I suffer from headaches and it's becoming more severe. I bought one of those expensive pillows for neck support that seems to work with regards to my neck and shoulders but sometime during the day I start getting these headaches that lasts for the whole day. I have to dose myself with headache tablets just to think

Anyone else with this problem?

Old 05-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #13
(female)

Dreaman HB UserDreaman HB UserDreaman HB UserDreaman HB User

I hear ya. I am 59 and am having the same problems. It is so hard to explain this to people. Dreaman

Old 05-13-2011, 12:58 AM   #14
(female)

Hi all

Well the step thing is in my past as I cannot do that anymore.

I have to hold onto someone and I also have the overwhelming fear if a see any kind of step.

My mom has about 7 steps to get into the house and they've placed railings on one side but I cannot get up them anymore

When I go visit (once a week) I have to blow my horn and my dad has to come out and help me. I think I've bruised quite a few ppl getting up stairs or steps

I use a scooter when I go out and even when I didn't need it I never used an escalator. I was capable to use one but even at that stage the fear of falling was overwhelming

I build a ramp with a railing by my front door so I don't need anyone to help me get to my car. I have high steps at my back door so I never go outside the back.

I think placing railings down to your living room (even though it will not look to nice) will help. The mind plays tricks on you and when you know there is support the fear disappears.

I would like to know something: I cannot walk with shoes on - I have to feel the ground in order to walk. If I don't I cannot walk. Also I cannot walk in areas I am not familiar with even if the surface is even.

I cannot walk on grass or sand and even a distance longer than 100m unsupported is impossible for me.

Anyone else with these problems. Iím just fortunate that we don't get snow in SA otherwise I would have frostbite half the year due to the lack of shoes

Old 05-13-2011, 01:09 AM   #15
(female)

Did you find a solution yet?

I went to a dr this week and I was given a Headache prevention tablet to take for 3-6 months.

This is my second day and well doesn't help yet. I was given "strong" pain killers but that doesn't help either

I wonder if this has something to do with MD. I hope not

Let me know if you find a solution and I will do the same

M

Closed Thread