It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Muscular Dystrophy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
(female)

Dreaman HB UserDreaman HB UserDreaman HB UserDreaman HB User
Angry Does anybody else get charlie horses

I get really severe Charlie horses mostly in my calves,toes and in the back of my thighs. These are mostly at night but can happen any time of day and can be very brief or can last quite a while and be very sore for a few days

Old 06-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
(female)

Greetings HB UserGreetings HB UserGreetings HB User
Re: Does anybody else get charlie horses

I am not sure if what I get is Charlie horse pain, but I get some sort of crushing pain in my lower legs. It is usually in the front part of my legs below the knee. I can't remember what it's called(front part of the calf)

Terry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
(female)

Thanks Terry,

The charlie horse pain is in the back of my calves and it is more like a muscle spas but I also get one in the front but not nearly as often and its more like a bone pain if thats possible.

Later, Dreaman

Old 06-22-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

michigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB User

Yes. I do. It's not too often but once in a while, usually while sitting watching TV or riding in the car, I'll get a charlie horse in my calf or in my thigh. They're very uncomfortable but usually they don't last long. 30 seconds or so then it gradually goes away over 5-10 minutes.

I never knew if it was MD related or not. I mentioned to my doctor who said it's possible, but healthy people get them too so it's hard to say. Some MDs do cause contractures which is uncontrolled tightening of the muscle but that's more of an all-the-time thing.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
(female)

Thanks guys I didn't know if it was an MD thing or not. I'm thinking maybe I just need to drink more water. I know I do get them more in hot weather.So I will give that a try and see what happens. D

Old 02-06-2012, 02:49 AM   #6
(female)

Myoshi patient HB User

I get them a lot, but not as bad as before I medicated. My Neurologist prescribed Quinine Sulphate 200mg. Bid. if you can't get that, it is actually in club soda (read the label). In some Canadian provinces you don't need a prescription. Hope that helps
Myoshi patient

Old 02-06-2012, 02:51 AM   #7
(female)

Myoshi patient HB User

I get them a lot, but not as bad as before I medicated. My Neurologist prescribed Quinine Sulphate 200mg. Bid. if you can't get that, it is actually in tonic water (read the label). In some Canadian provinces you don't need a prescription. Hope that helps
Myoshi patient

The Following User Says Thank You to Myoshi patient For This Useful Post:
Dreaman (03-13-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
(female)

min446 HB User

Hi all... Other than Charlie horses, does anyone experience numbness in the hands and legs(thighs down to feet)?

My neurologist explained that the numbness is my hands are due to Capal tunnel syndrome(CTS) but will be confirming in my next EMG appt. But he couldn't really explain the numbness in my legs especially in the outer thigh as it is pretty rare for one to feels numbness at that area. He thought it could b Meralgia paraesthetica.

I would like to know if such syndromes or numbness is common to us? It is quite a pain when it could last the whole day and in the night.

Thanks...

Cheers,
Mintgan

Old 04-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
(female)

Suzebell HB User

I once in awhile will get them and have always been told that it can be caused by a lack of potassium, so eat more bananas and see if that helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to Suzebell For This Useful Post:
Dreaman (04-13-2012)
Reply Reply