It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Muscular Dystrophy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
(female)

yncruzr HB Useryncruzr HB User
Smile Homebound

I'm not sure if the is a health question, or a mental health question. I was diagnosed back in 2002, when I still worked full-time, drove my cute PT Cruiser, and thought I still had lots of adventure ahead of me. Slowly, over the past few years I have lost a lot of strength and some mobility, stopped driving, have difficulty using public restrooms, and became more or less housebound. Maybe by choice, or by dependence, or just hiding. I've had to move in with my daughter and her 15 yr old son, giving up my independence and freedom. Most days I handle this all with a smile, accepting what has come my way. But, what I wonder most, is how to fill the loneliness, boredom, and the occasional depression that sometimes descends on me. I would like to find a blog or website to communicate with others enduring a similar fate. I would like to reach out, make some online friends, and just offer support when needed. If anyone knows where I can do this, or someone who needs a friend, just let me know......

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: yncruzr
2807 (06-28-2011), Dreaman (06-29-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

michigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB User
Re: Homebound

You found the place. You can talk to others right here.

MD certainly affects a person mentally as much or more than than it affects them physically. I also went from being very active.....golfing, swimming, hiking, etc. I loved the outdoors. Now, I spend days at a time in the house without stepping outside. (I can't get in and out of the house without help). I am able to walk around inside but I always use my scooter outside.

I live with my wife and 2 daughters who get me out on weekends but I am home alone many days each week from 8-5.

I keep busy by emailing friends and family, doing stuff online and I do a LOT of reading. I got a Kindle this winter and I love it. I can ******** books whenever I need something new to read without having to go to the store or library. I always ask for gift cards so I can purchase books, magazines and newspapers for my reader.

This is a GREAT site to share your stories and concerns with others who are all going through the same thing. It's not permitted to exchange private information on the public forum (other than first name) but I've found it's possible to learn and share a lot anyway. I've talked with others here for 6 years now and I visit the site several times a week to "talk".

Hang in there and post any time.

Mark
(50 years old with limb-girdle)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
(female)

2807 HB User

Just found this message board today and am relieved to find other people out there who have the same feelings as me both good and bad. I was diagnosed with MD limb girdle last year and am still very new to the whole thing and too feel shocked, lonely, sad, fed up but also very grateful that I am still here.
I will be checking back here regularly and hope to make a few online friends (if I can figure out this message board?) regards Hxx

The following user gives a hug of support to 2807:
Dreaman (06-29-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
(female)

I am new to the message boards myself, but it seems like a great place to share info and find support. I know we all have families and friends, but sometimes we need our peers who know what we are going through, and hopefully want to share coping methods or just offer friendship. I will be coming back often also and hope to get to know you better. Cheers and take care til next time............L

Old 06-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
(female)

Thank you for all your kind words! I too, read constantly, use my online resources, and watch way too much tv. I only leave the house periodically depending on weather, mood, and destination. I have wonderful daughters that ensure all my needs are met, but sometimes I miss my old life. I relocated a few years ago to live with my oldest daughter, so unfortunately, most of my friends live several hours away, as does my youngest with her children and I don't get to see them as often as I would like.

I will be checking back and see how you are doing too. It was nice to have someone respond so quickly to my 1st message. Gives me hope I have come to the right place,

Enjoy your evening!

Old 06-29-2011, 01:17 AM   #6
(female)

mandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB User

Hi yncruzr and 2807

Welcome to the site. I find this site to be a wonder way of communication as everyone listens and respond without just leaving you wondering if anyone actually read your postings

I have a combination of LGM and FHSMD. I was diagnosed at 19 ad now after my birthday 2 weeks ago reached the age of 39 (sigh!)

I too go through mental and physical struggles. I'm single with 2 teenage boys and I think they keep me too busy to even think of my MD.

Mostly I'm a positive person except when I fall (that is a lot) when I change into a self-pity idiot. Doesn't last long though

I don't go out much and use a scooter like Mark when I do. Soooo much easier. In the beginning you are a bit self-conscious but later you just don’t care and enjoy the “freedom” this offers. Don’t worry if it takes you a while to get there. My scooter stayed in the garage for a year before I admitted to myself that I need it.

2807 we will support you esp in your early stages and feel free to ask any questions and know on this site we are straight forward and you will get honest answers if you up to it

Mandy

Old 06-29-2011, 03:11 AM   #7
(female)

2807 HB User

2807 we will support you esp in your early stages and feel free to ask any questions and know on this site we are straight forward and you will get honest answers if you up to it

Mandy[/QUOTE]

Thank you Mandy and I am sure I will be asking questions am still shocked to be told there is nothing that can be done it is genetic and thats it. Spend time surfing and looking for help/answers which was how I found you guys.....
Will be in touch Hx

Last edited by 2807; 06-29-2011 at 03:05 PM.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
(female)

Dreaman HB UserDreaman HB UserDreaman HB UserDreaman HB User

You are definately in the right place. Mark and the others have helped me so much and I have only been on since May.
I am 59 F with limb-girdle MD. I too read alot and have a kindle its the greatest thing ever.Besides books you can journal-I love sudoku and word search-I have Chicken soup for soul books on there( great short stories that will pick you up or make you cry but great reading.The possibilities are endless.The price is well worth it and it is small and light so you can take it anywhere. I also am a crafter this really helps.I knit,crochet,scrapbook,and love making pictures come alive with cross stitch(not the stamped kind but the counted cross stitch).I used to feel guilty doing this cause I felt like I was being lazy but now if I complete something I feel like I at least accomplished something.Guilt no more.
Hang in there, D

Old 07-01-2011, 12:03 AM   #9
(female)

2807 HB User

Me again just saying hello had a bit of a flat day today.... sometimes I just find it hard to be bothered to do anything......

Just read my post and it didn't read too good, I am OK

Have been reading the posts on COQ10 and creatine, any new info on either of these to help?
Hxx

Last edited by 2807; 07-01-2011 at 12:06 AM.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: 2807
Dreaman (07-01-2011), mandy37 (07-03-2011), yncruzr (07-01-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

michigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaman View Post
You are definately in the right place. Mark and the others have helped me so much and I have only been on since May.
I am 59 F with limb-girdle MD. I too read alot and have a kindle its the greatest thing ever.Besides books you can journal-I love sudoku and word search-I have Chicken soup for soul books on there( great short stories that will pick you up or make you cry but great reading.The possibilities are endless.The price is well worth it and it is small and light so you can take it anywhere. I also am a crafter this really helps.I knit,crochet,scrapbook,and love making pictures come alive with cross stitch(not the stamped kind but the counted cross stitch).I used to feel guilty doing this cause I felt like I was being lazy but now if I complete something I feel like I at least accomplished something.Guilt no more.
Hang in there, D
I LOVE my Kindle. If anyone with MD has thought about one, you can make the font as big as you need (up to 1/2 inch at least) and with most of the newer books the Kindle will read to you and turn the pages. (Male or female voice, fast or slow). All you have to do is get it started.

The Following User Says Thank You to michigani For This Useful Post:
Dreaman (07-01-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #11
(female)

To all,
I don't know which is worse the physical or the mental. I guess It depends on the day.
I get my boost every day from a poem my daughter wrote( she passed away from Cystic Fibrosis in 1996 at the age of 19) I would love to put it in here but not sure how. Its incredible coming from someone with so many problems.Any way she had a homeschool teacher that was at the house one day and to make a long story short somewhere in the conversation she asked us how we could laugh about the situation and my daughter spoke up and said "you either laugh or you can cry and we chose to laugh".
Any way no matter what your situation there is someone on here that will listen even if you just need to vent. Sometimes that is all we need to pick up and go til the next time.
We all go through this at one time or another.Just remember we are never as alone as we feel just reach out and here we all understand one way or another.
Later, Dreaman

The following user gives a hug of support to Dreaman:
michigani (07-02-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Dreaman For This Useful Post:
2807 (07-01-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #12
(female)

Cool Re: Homebound

Whew! It was a hot one here in sunny California. Going to be over 100+ this entire July 4th weekend. Makes it hard to think about going outside. The heat just zaps all my energies. Spent the day reading Bent Road by Lori Roy, very good, and watching lots of shows on Netflix. Oh how I love Netflix online!

Dreaman, I totally agree with you on how we deal, it's all about choices. We can be depressed (which we know flares it's ugly head from time to time) or we can laugh. I too choose laughter if I can. I have a little mantra I say to myself in the mornings, "Today I CHOOSE to be positive, upbeat, and optimistic." And after repeating this a few times I am in a good mood.

Everyone have a good weekend.............

Last edited by yncruzr; 07-01-2011 at 08:05 PM. Reason: mis-spelling

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yncruzr For This Useful Post:
2807 (07-02-2011), Dreaman (07-02-2011), michigani (07-02-2011)
Old 07-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #13
(female)

yncruzr,
I love that. Thanks for sharing. Have a nice weekend.
Dreaman

Old 07-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Dreaman & yncruzr,

You are both right. A positive attitude is paramount to dealing with MD or any illness. For years I've told others "By far the most important thing is what's going on in your head. I'd MUCH rather be happy with MD then depressed with a healthy body".

I truly believe this. I know a few people that feel very miserable all the time and they have their complete health. Their bodies allow them to do whatever adventurous thing that life offers and yet they're unhappy and grumpy all the time. I'll take my MD any day and enjoy the birds and squirrels in the yard, and a good book in the evening and most of all, the roof over my head and my family. I've got lots of blessings and I'm happy.

Dreaman - I'm so sorry about your daughter. Some families seem to get a little bumpier road than others. Both my big sisters have died from illnesses unrelated to MD (Diabetes and MS). I'm my mom's last child, but we're close and enjoy what we have. I'm sure we'd all enjoy your daughters beautiful poem. If you have it on the computer you can cut and paste it right to this thread.

Well......have a wonderful weekend everyone. It's 100 degrees in Michigan today. I went outside for an hour but for a change, it's nicer inside !

Mark

Old 07-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #15
(female)

Mark,
85 in Montana I guess we're the cool spot.
So sorry about your sisters.I lost my brother from a heart attack he was 58,(my dad passed away at age 51 also a heart attack,my mom died (2003) in an auto accident when we went to SC for my nephews wedding my brother(above was driving but wasn't his fault)my mother and my husband were in the car it rolled a couple times and my mom went out the back window. Died on the spot-no seat belt.But I still have one brother still living.
Thanks for the info on how to get her poem so you guys can see it. I can almost guarentee after reading it there will be no more pitty parties( well ya we will all still have bad days) but maybe not as many.
Hope you and your family have a wonderful weekend and I for one am glad it's not a hundred degrees here. It will get down to 52 tonight so the mornings are cool.
Later, Dreaman

The following user gives a hug of support to Dreaman:
michigani (07-04-2011)
Closed Thread