It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Muscular Dystrophy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
(male)

mluke HB User
Unhappy Dystrophy of shoulder and back muscles due to stress

Dear Users,

About a year ago during my senior year at university I sustained a painful back injury due to stress and overuse. At the time I was studying full time and working three odd jobs amounting to part time work. In addition, I was swimming c. 10,000m per week - a ridiculous regimen I believed was healthy at the time. I was sleeping very little at night, and on weekends I would drink moderately.

For a few years I had been troubled in my sleep by a tendency to sleep on top of my arms, restricting blood flow and causing them to go numb. I sustained nerve damage to my right shoulder in the past, but had since recovered.

All of a sudden my right shoulder seized up and I experienced a great deal of pain. I could hardly use my right arm, the pain was so bad. I stopped swimming altogether and focused on getting the pain under control. A few months later I looked in the mirror and noticed that my right shoulder was significantly weaker than the left. The muscles effected are the trapezius, teres minor and teres major. The infraspinatus could also be harmed.

Since then I have not swam for exercise. I do not experience pain, only slight discomfort from time to time. My right arm cannot perform all the functions my left arm can. The muscles in my right shoulder and back are visibly degenerated.

I assume nerve damage was done and that the muscles have dystrophied. What can I do to regenerate the muscles and regain full use of my arm and shoulder?

Please send your advice.

Thanks

Luke

The following user gives a hug of support to mluke:
samanta73 (07-13-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2011, 02:59 AM   #2
(female)

mandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB User
Re: Dystrophy of shoulder and back muscles due to stress

Hi Luke

I had the same problem when my dystrophy started. I was doing javelin and netball at that stage and injured my shoulder by overuse.

I didn't think much of it as this did put pressure on your shoulders and arms.

My right arm also started getting weaker and same as you sleeping on my arms became a problem due to great discomfort and pain

That is when dystrophy was diagnosed after visiting a dr to find out why the pain persisted.

About 2 years later I started showing a winged scapula. My shoulders became weaker that I gave up sport altogether.

I don't know how far your dystrophy is advanced and the only advice I can give you that I had to do for the past 19 years is not to strain them. Don't lift heavy objects. Don't do sit-ups or push-ups where your muscles get strained. This might just weaken them further

I know what I’m saying is not the words that you want to hear but then again we are all different and what helps for me might be different for you

Mandy

Closed Thread