It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Muscular Dystrophy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 01:08 AM   #1
(male)

InTheVoid HB User
Anybody dealing with denial?

I am in the process of getting a diagnosis, my doctor is saying that I either have Spinal Muscular Atrophy type 3 or Myotonic Dystrophy type 2. He has explained that whichever I have, there are likely to be no treatments and that the physio therapy is based on non fatiguing cardio and stretching.

I am pushing for a diagnosis because I need to know if It is a recessive or a dominant condition. If it is a recessive condition I may be able to have children one day, given that my partner would be tested for the gene mutation. however if It is a dominantly inherited condition I don't think I would dare a 50/50 chance of passing it on to my children.

Is anyone dealing with denial? Lately, about once a day I get these waves of denial and they completely destroy me. I know I have something because I trust my doctors opinions, however I just get these feelings that I will wake up tomorrow and this nightmare will be over. It's cyclical, I go from acceptance to denial and back again, sometimes several times a day and it's really messing with my daily life more so than my actual condition is. I have been offered to see a therapist but I have not requested to see one yet. I know that would be the best thing to do.

Is anybody in a similar situation?

(this is off topic but when I type a double space after my periods, when I post my thread it goes to a single space, anybody notice that? I was taught in grade school to double space. Weird.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
(female)

Greetings HB UserGreetings HB UserGreetings HB User
Re: Anybody dealing with denial?

Not trying to be funny, but as to your question about denial. Your question has had over 300 views, and no one has posted an answer. I would guess that perhaps 300 people are in denial.

I think denial is normal, we want to get better so we deny that anything is wrong even when it s obvious that we have an ailment. I think that is also partly depression.

Perhaps denial can be good, we might try and strive for things more instead of just giving up.

As for the double spacing after a period I had not noticed that, but in my college English class, we were only taught to single space after one. I do not remember much else.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
(male)

InTheVoid HB User

Greetings, and thanks for your reply! Yes, I guess denial and depression go together like movie night and popcorn. I suppose denial could make me more likely to set goals and strive to reach them.
I think that once I accept whatever it is that I have I might stop trying to work as a bicycle mechanic. I'm trying to work half days every other day to give myself some time to rest, but am finding those days off are spent in bed, often too sore to go for groceries. I guess I should look for a seditary job, but I find it hard to think that I'll be useful in an office setting.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
(female)

Greetings HB UserGreetings HB UserGreetings HB User

hope you have some good days soon

Last edited by Greetings; 04-27-2012 at 11:01 PM.

Reply Reply