It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Muscular Dystrophy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2012, 03:35 AM   #1
(female)

2807 HB User
travelling with MD

Thoughts anyone?
Do you get to have a holiday? go on a plane? get around another state/country? It must be possible, I wonder if there are travel agents for people with disabilities? Can you take your wheelchair on the plane does it go in with the luggage? If it takes planning and thought to go to the shop it must take alot of plannning to leave the comfort of home? But should we do it while we can if we can?

Anyone who can share some stories/insight on this I would greatly appreciate it....Heidi x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

michigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB Usermichigani HB User
Re: travelling with MD

I've not flown since I got MD. But I wondered this myself. My niece flies monthly and she told me she's seen many people in wheelchairs fly and they usually get the person in their seat then park the wheelchair up front inside the plane. I know that they also have narrow wheelchairs to roll you down the aisle to your seat if your chair is too wide, and usually the airline or airport have strong men that can lift you into and out of your seat if necessary. It might be different at little island airports however.

Also call around and call ahead to your destination. You can often arrange a wheelchair van to get you from the airport to your hotel.

Mark

Last edited by michigani; 05-04-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
(female)

2807 HB User

Thank you for your reply Mark much appreciated.
Heidi

Old 05-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
(female)

Ali76 HB User

Hi! I'm a travel agent with MD, I book many people with disabilities. The trick is to make sure you book a hotel or resort that accommodates a wheelchair, most airlines are also pretty good about this & will actually have someone trasport you around the airport.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
(female)

2807 HB User

Thank you Ali76, that must be a very interesting job, I appreciater your response, thanks Heidi

Old 09-24-2012, 05:54 AM   #6
(female)

cactuslucy HB User

Hi, Yes you can travel and fly. My boyfriend has fshd, he is 64, and we are back from a trip to hawaii. When we arrived , we went to a medical rental and got a wheelchair, took it with us in the rental car, and had lots of fun. He does not walk too far, but, the chair was very necessary. We had a time share and got a handicap room, which helped very much. Have a wonderful vacation!!! cactuslucy

Reply Reply