It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Muscular Dystrophy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
(female)

Monnie45 HB User
strength in one leg versus another

Hi, I have noticed something lately. I have MD2, I can still step on onto a curb with my left foot if it isn't too steep without a railing but cannot seem to do it with my right foot. I also noticed that if I am on the floor I can grab something and step up with my left foot but cannot seem to do it ith my right leg. I am right handed, does that have any relationship.

Marlene

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
(female)

SelmaG HB User
Re: strength in one leg versus another

I know exactly what you mean. Except I am left handed and am stronger with my right leg.

I think it might my related. Since people who are right-handed use the left side of their brain more and vice versa for lefties.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2012, 03:12 AM   #3
(female)

mandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB User

Hi

I'm stronger on my left side (just my leg) vs. my right side. My upper body is again stronger on the right side.

I had my scapula fused with my breastbone (my left side) a few years ago to "look better" but the operation was a big flop and now my left arm is so weak I need to use my right arm to “help” my left arm

I do not know what level MD I have (I just do not care) but I want to know how far the muscle weakness will go.

Google doesn’t help and a Dr is useless. I’m getting weaker and weaker but I do not want to lose my ability to walk at all.

I’m single and both my kids will be out the house in about 3 years’ time.

I can handle being by myself with techniques I use to get up to make food, shower etc.

I am however prone to falling and then I need to phone someone to help me up (If alone)

I’m only 40 and I need to know what the future holds for me.

The following user gives a hug of support to mandy37:
2807 (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
(female)

2807 HB User

Mandy am in the same boat as you wondering what is around the corner and how long ...whats next...and no one can tell you anything.....am 42... how long have you been diagnosed?

Old 07-22-2012, 04:28 AM   #5
(female)

mandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB Usermandy37 HB User

I was diagnosed at the age of 19 but ignore the fact that there was anything wrong with me. (I lived in denial for a very long time)

About the age of 22 during my pregnancy I had to face the fact that I had MD and that I should start taking better care of myself

I really started struggling at the age of 26/28 with “normal” everyday functions and the fact I was divorced and now had to take care of the boys on my own was a bid scary

From there the detoriation started alarmingly fast. I suffer from severe back pain when I stand for a while and lately if feels like my back "folds in" completely and looking at myself in the mirror the image is alarming

Typing this I’m getting so sick of feeling negative because this is not me.

I had to phone my boys school last week for him to come home and help me up when I fell in the bathroom. This is something I tried to avoid at all cost but now I don’t have a choice

Anyway enough of moaning. I have to go for my usual Sunday lunch at my mom’s and have to get ready and prepare myself mentally to take on the 7 steps up to the house

The Sunday lunch at my mom’s is a tradition I’m not planning to break as long as I can
still move

Have a fab week and don’t worry, I’m going to get up tomorrow with a smile on my face.

The following user gives a hug of support to mandy37:
Greetings (08-06-2012)
Reply Reply