It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Muscular Dystrophy Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
(male)

InTheVoid HB User
Myotonic DNA test

To anyone who has had a DNA test for myotonic muscular dystrophy type 1 or 2, or any DNA test for the muscular dystrophies, how long did it take to get your results back?

I have been waiting over 4 months for my Myotonic dystrophy type 2 test. Is it normal for it to take this long? I called my neurologist and his receptionist is trying to figure out why it is taking so long.

I live in Saskatchewan Canada and there are no labs here that do these tests so my blood was sent out of province, possibly to the US, but my doc didn't know off the top of his head where it was sent.

I'm kind of concerned because I was tested for spinal muscular atrophy and that test took 1 month for the results, which was done in Worcester, MA. I think my results should be back by now.

How long have any of you waited for DNA test results?

Old 09-05-2012, 12:53 AM   #2
(male)

InTheVoid HB User
Re: Myotonic DNA test

So, it looks like nobody on the Muscular Dystrophy message board has has a dna test for any type of muscular dystrophy? I would think that a vast majority of you have had a test done in the past. That leaves me to conclude that none of you give a **** enough to take two minutes to say "hey, it took two months for my test", or " you know. my test took 6 months to come back but my doctor said that was normal.". or even "don't worry about it, you'll get the results when they come!".

ANYBODY? response?

Why do I even try? I am alone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2012, 02:43 AM   #3
(female)

2807 HB User

Hey there am with you it is frustrating when you post and it appears to have lots of looks but nobody writes anything.....so i thought i would..... not that I have had the test that you are talking about so no answers from me but keep checking someone may give you a clue.

Heidi.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:31 AM   #4
(female)

Monnie45 HB User

Hi, I had a test for Myotonic Dystrophy 2 several years ago. I got my results fairly quickly, probably in about a week. Unfortunately, it was positive.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
(male)

asho HB User

Ive been waiting 6 months for DM2 test results here in Australia the first part got done quick it can rule out dm2 at the first stage if 2 allels resolve if only 1 shows then they do a repeat pcr assay process which is the complicated bit,but not why it takes so long.THE REAL reason is they do the tests in batch runs so they wait till there are enough tests ordered to make a batch??DM2 MC PARA are rare in this country(small population,ethnic.etc) so it takes ages to get a batch!!!! PS all my relatives on mums side are CANADIANS in bc mostly

Last edited by asho; 03-27-2013 at 06:50 PM. Reason: ps

Old 03-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
(female)

2807 HB User

hi asho I am in Tassie where abouts are you/

Old 03-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Trish0102 HB User

You should ask the doctor or the one doing the test how long should you wait so as not to prolong the suspense of knowing the result.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
(male)

asho HB User

grafton nsw ,tassie is the best place ive ever seen went for 2week trip but stayed for 2months! As you probably noticed from my recent rant or from your own expierence Australia has a flawed public health system but at least weve got one & I should be gratefull really.

Reply Reply