HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Muscular Dystrophy (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/muscular-dystrophy/)
-   -   weaker (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/muscular-dystrophy/920474-weaker.html)

2807 09-27-2012 05:00 PM

weaker

am frustrated

am I feeling weaker and more breathless....... because of my MD or is it because I don't do / move enough?

If I were to DO SOMETHING (not sure what ) would this help me?

I ask and they say just do what you are doing and don't over do it......well what does that mean they don't know what I do each day???????

I walk with a cane but don't if I can avoid it as I fear falling over don't go out much cos if I sit down anywhere I don't know how I am gonna get up again.......

if ANYONE can suggest or advise or just share what you do each day it would be greatly appreciated.....thanks in advance, Heidi x

Madalot 10-11-2012 07:24 AM

Re: weaker

Hey Heidi -

I just saw your post. I'm not on this forum as much as I used to be.

I know EXACTLY how you feel as this is an on-going struggle for me. The balancing act between doing enough to keep the muscles from weakening more, but NOT overdoing it to cause more damage. Where's the line?

My previous Neurologist told me that I should walk as much as possible, as long as possible, but reminded me of the balance. I was using a rollator in the house (thus walking) but a powerchair when I left the house.

And I kept doing this, despite the HORRENDOUS aching in my legs every day, leaving me in agony overnight. In March, my Occupational Therapist finally convinced me -- it was time to give up the walking in the house. The benefit I was getting was no longer outweighing the consequences.

Now, I get in my powerchair when I get up and do transfer to my recliner or the kitchen chairs, but any movement through the house is now done via wheelchair. By doing this, I AM still able to shower by myself AND can move enough in the kitchen to get food/drink as long as it's nothing too difficult or requiring me to stand up for any length of time.

At night, I leave my wheelchair in the family room to charge and pick up my rollator, using that to get to my bedroom and do my evening routine (teeth, face, etc), then park it at my bed.

Showering, dressing, easy food/drink and transferring from wheelchair to chair/bed is the extent of my walking now.

Two - three years ago, I was walking completely unassisted in my house and was able to grocery shop using the cart for stability.

Only you can be certain where the balance lies for you. I fought it to the end (meaning using the wheelchair 95% of the time) but in the end, I had to decide if walking was worth the pain (and risk of falling) that it was causing.

mandy37 10-15-2012 04:25 AM

[QUOTE=Madalot;5070619]Hey Heidi -

I just saw your post. I'm not on this forum as much as I used to be.

I know EXACTLY how you feel as this is an on-going struggle for me. The balancing act between doing enough to keep the muscles from weakening more, but NOT overdoing it to cause more damage. Where's the line?

My previous Neurologist told me that I should walk as much as possible, as long as possible, but reminded me of the balance. I was using a rollator in the house (thus walking) but a powerchair when I left the house.

And I kept doing this, despite the HORRENDOUS aching in my legs every day, leaving me in agony overnight. In March, my Occupational Therapist finally convinced me -- it was time to give up the walking in the house. The benefit I was getting was no longer outweighing the consequences.

Now, I get in my powerchair when I get up and do transfer to my recliner or the kitchen chairs, but any movement through the house is now done via wheelchair. By doing this, I AM still able to shower by myself AND can move enough in the kitchen to get food/drink as long as it's nothing too difficult or requiring me to stand up for any length of time.

At night, I leave my wheelchair in the family room to charge and pick up my rollator, using that to get to my bedroom and do my evening routine (teeth, face, etc), then park it at my bed.

Showering, dressing, easy food/drink and transferring from wheelchair to chair/bed is the extent of my walking now.

Two - three years ago, I was walking completely unassisted in my house and was able to grocery shop using the cart for stability.

Only you can be certain where the balance lies for you. I fought it to the end (meaning using the wheelchair 95% of the time) but in the end, I had to decide if walking was worth the pain (and risk of falling) that it was causing.[/QUOTE]

mandy37 10-15-2012 04:39 AM

I'm the same. I use my power chair as much as possible (I'm not that stable on my feet anymore)

I bought a power chair about 2 months ago and it is a blessing.

I can do most things in the chair and still get up to shower and cook. (If I stand too long my legs starts burning and my back hurts badly.)

I use the chair to move over to my recliner, do washing, anything that is high or low enough for me to reach.

I feel more relaxed if I'm alone at home now.

I have a 'downward" period every year or so and now walking becomes a danger

My usual "stand up points' doesn't work anymore except for my bed and bathroom so I need the chair to get to those points

I'm not sure forcing yourself to walk is a good idea because for me it strains my muscles and then I sit with pain in the evenings

I suppose we all deal with our situations like we feel suits us so Iím sure you will also find a way to cope in a way that helps you