It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Myositis Message Board

Functional Medicine

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-02-2017, 07:24 AM   #1
DeeDeeF
(female)

DeeDeeF HB User
Functional Medicine

I was diagnosed in March, 2015 with dermatomyositis. I struggled for 1-1/2 years on prednisone, MTX and a stab at Enbryl. Nothing worked except the prednisone at high doses. I had side effects from everything I took. I go to one of the top rheumatologists in the city of Chicago. I finally went to a functional medicine doctor. She ran tests on me that no one else ever performed. A stool test, saliva test, blood tests for food allergies. She found some underlying issues in all the tests. I went on a regiment of supplements and eliminated several foods that were causing me problems that I was not aware of. I saw my CK level drop from 1652 to 357 in four months. I went off of prednisone four weeks ago. I'll have a blood test next week and that will be the final test to evaluate the functional approach. Most of the functional medicine doctors are not covered by insurance and I pay for the care out of pocket and the supplements. However, I feel like a person cannot put a price on their health. I have gotten most of my strength back and my arms finally look close to normal. I have my energy back too! It pains me to see some of the posts about everyone's struggles. Do yourself a favor and educate yourself about functional medicine. The Cleveland Clinic has information on how functional medicine works. Best of luck to all.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-09-2017 at 06:42 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2017, 07:10 AM   #2
DeeDeeF
(female)

DeeDeeF HB User
Re: Functional Medicine

I went back to the rheumatologist on 2/6 and had my blood work run again. While I am still getting a positive ANA result, my CK level went down to 295. This is after five weeks off prednisone. However, I'm still having prednisone side effects of swelling. The doctor said that will take months to go away.

Reply Reply

« Newly diagnosed | - »