It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Myositis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2006, 02:36 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ASDGRMama HB User
Polymyositis...flare-ups/remissions??

I know many autoimmune diseases follow a course of flare-ups and periodic remissions. Is it possible for PM to follow a similar path?

Thanks!

Kelly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2006, 02:48 PM   #2
(female)

ArleneBarr HB User
Re: Polymyositis...flare-ups/remissions??

I had polio 52 years ago and have used crutches since then. About 31 years ago I noticed myself getting weaker and was then diagnosed with Polymyositis. I was on prednisone for approx. 5 years and the PM disappeared. I have noticed myself getting weaker this past year and can no longer even climb 1 step. I was blaming Post Polio Syndrome but am now thinking that maybe the Polymyositis has returned. I was searching Polymyositis on the web when I discovered HealthBoards and found your question about flare-ups. I am very interested in any comments. Arlene

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2006, 08:24 AM   #3
(female)

eskaz HB User
Re: Polymyositis...flare-ups/remissions??

I have had Polymyositis for a year and a half , when after Prednisone and Methotrexate therapy it appeared to be in remission . I still was on Methotrexate and taken off Prednisone. I was so happy thinking I was in remission, but after about two weeks I started having muscle pain and weakness again .
Not wanting to believe that it was back I went to get a CPK and it was elevated, the next week I was worse another CPK and it was even higher and the pain and weakness was relentless . After another week I was in so much pain worse than when my CPK was 1900 .
So I had to go back on Prednisone . The DR. said the disease was flaring up and was put back on 10mgs of Prednisone and the injectable form on Methotrexate at a higher dose . I took almost three months to start feeling better , but Methotrexate was making me sick for three days after the injections so now I am going to be put on Prednisone and Cellcept .

The following user gives a hug of support to eskaz:
jcren (11-20-2010)
Closed Thread