It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Myositis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
(female)

Michelle71 HB User
Polymiositis

I am a 35 yr old mother of 2. My symptons started in 2005 with tripping, followed by difficulty walking up stairs, then difficulty standing up and walking, now i can't walk at all and my arms and hands are weak. i've had 3 emg's, 2 muscle biopsy's, on 80 mg of predinsone now for 4 1/2 months, done the ivig, which caused me to get chemical menengitis the second time. I noticed also that when they started to take me off the prednisone i felt stronger a little, thought it was just me. Emotionally, this is killing me, i feel trapped inside myself. i was very active with my girls and now stuck. Going to Cleveland Clinic in Ohio for more tests and another opinion in a couple of weeks.

I am curious as to what kind of transportion everyone is using. I am looking into a lift that attaches to the inside of my truck on the passenger side, but have been told getting a van is better. Just doesn't feel that safe being in the wheelchair in the vehicle. But at this point i can't stand being stuck in the house. Opions and advice are welcome.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
(female)

issy07 HB User
Re: Polymiositis

Michelle71, I am so sorry to hear that you are having trouble getting around. I can sympathize with you. Though I have never been wheel chair bound, I too have felt the frustration of being immobile (did I spell that right?). I am 29 and a mother of 2 also. I have had Dermatomyositis for 5 years. I have experienced the tripping, the weakness and all the frustration. I have done the IVIG, the prednisone, Methotrexate, imuran, remicaid, etc.. Before I was diagnosed with the disease I too was very active. I am prior military so I was used to a very active and fit lifesyle. I was running 3 miles 5 days a week, then I started feeling achiness and weakness. Before I knew it, I couldn't pick up my 1 year old or get out of a chair. I finally got the diagnosis in November of 2001. I went on high doses of prednisone and after what seemed like an eternity, I started getting stronger. Now I am weak again, but not anywhere near where I was. I have a 1 year old and my pregnancy with her took a lot out of me. After the delivery I just got weaker. Now that she is 14 months, I am finally able to pick her up and bather her on my own. I am able to go outside and play with my 6 year old. By no means am I 100%, but I am better. This disease has made me have a lot more faith and I have learned that we cannot take anything for granted. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as well as your girls and family. Had it not been for my family and kids I think I would have let this disease get the best of me. I know I will always have DM but it will not have me. Hang in there I promise it does get better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread