It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Myositis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 07:37 PM   #1
(female)

Nan07 HB User
Prednisone

Hi,
Will my tummy go back down after I get off prednisone? I never had a stomach in my life, always in good shape, but now with the autoimmone disease it's hard for me to even exercise..I'm trying to get off the prednisone, but it takes time. Am on Metrotrexate along with the Pred. I take 7 a day and 8 Metrotrexate..
I can't believe my stomach, I haven't even gained that much weight, about 8 lbs......Help..

Old 10-30-2007, 10:26 PM   #2
(male)

Leper Messiah HB User
Re: Prednisone

I've read weight gain is one side effect. I woul dsggest that your going to have to carefully montitor your diet to prevent wieght gain, as exercise is obviously out of the question.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2007, 05:11 PM   #3
(female)

Nan07 HB User

thanks Leper for your reply. I was never a big eater and I have been cutting back, but my arms are so thin that I hate to cut back too much..
I just hope the stomach and face go back down when I can get the prednisone dropped..
Thanks again..Nel

Old 11-01-2007, 12:43 PM   #4
(female)

garethsgirl HB User

I know everyone is talking about prednisone . I have been taking prednisolone , are they the same ? Have had similar problems with stomach bloating.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
(female)

Nan07 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethsgirl View Post
I know everyone is talking about prednisone . I have been taking prednisolone , are they the same ? Have had similar problems with stomach bloating.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:44 PM   #6
(female)

Nan07 HB User

I looked up prednisolone on google and it seems it's in the same catagory as predinsone..you can read all about it in google..
I've really gained weight in the stomach and around the waist, not just blouting.(if there is a difference)...still only 8 lbs. gain since I've been on it....Nel

Old 11-01-2007, 02:02 PM   #7
(female)

garethsgirl HB User

thanks for your reply , have been on prednisolone twice and had various side effects including depression and palpitations . Have tried azathioprine as well but suffered infections on it - currently not on any medication at all , there doesn't seem to be a lot out there ! Sharon

Old 11-01-2007, 04:25 PM   #8
(male)

Leper Messiah HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethsgirl View Post
thanks for your reply , have been on prednisolone twice and had various side effects including depression and palpitations . Have tried azathioprine as well but suffered infections on it - currently not on any medication at all , there doesn't seem to be a lot out there ! Sharon
Prednisolone is essentially the same as Prednisone. I think its jsut easier on the liver, because Prednisone is converted into Prednisolone by the liver, so its probably easier on the liver to straight up administer prednisolone,

Old 11-01-2007, 04:36 PM   #9
(female)

garethsgirl HB User

It's good to talk to other people in the same boat ! Don't get a lot of feedback from my consultant , he just seems to take it a stage at a time . He hasn't discussed the illness with me at all - just left it to me to look things up on the net .

Old 11-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #10
(female)

MaryNY HB User

Depending on what the prednisolone is for you could try other medications. Once on methotrexate and Imuran my focal myositis lessened and then I eventually was able to taper off prednisone. I feel a whole lot better, I just now need to be carefully with illnesses from others.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:23 PM   #11
(female)

Nan07 HB User

Hi Mary,
My Rheomy doesn't seem to know which autoimmune disease I have as of yet. I've been on prednisone for at least a year. Small doses. I just cut back to 6.5mgs. I was put on Metrotrexate about 4 months ago..don't know if I'm doing any better..I bumped my leg Sat. and it's really bad, going to the Drs. tomorrow..my skin has gotten so thin that every little bump makes me blue, but this one is really ugly. The nurse at the hospital that my brother in law is in, told me to promise her I would go to the Drs..SOOOO.
I may have to try something else also if I don't start getting better..I see my Rheomy the 4th..
Thanks for your answer, and everyone else.......Nel

Old 11-07-2007, 08:36 AM   #12
(female)

garethsgirl HB User

hi Mary , I have dermatomyositis . Was diagnosed about a year ago with the skin problems and have recently developed muscle problems . I have been on prednisolone twice this year and have also tried azathioprine too . Have had various side effects with both treatments , at the moment I am recieving no treatment at all . Sharon

Old 11-10-2007, 07:01 PM   #13
(female)

ltr HB User

Mary - I see you live in Watkins. I live in Elmira and am amazed that someone so close has a rare disease like mine. I have polymyositis. Would love to talk.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:58 AM   #14
(female)

MaryNY HB User
Exclamation Re: Prednisone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
Mary - I see you live in Watkins. I live in Elmira and am amazed that someone so close has a rare disease like mine. I have polymyositis. Would love to talk.

i'm not sure the best way to contact me but I have added your to my buddy list, and would be interested in talking more.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:03 AM   #15
(female)

littlehouse114 HB User

Hi,

My dad has polymysitis as well. He is MISERABLE from the prednisone treatments. What else are you doing as far as medication to help with your disease. His numbers are in the 500's. He's SOOOO DEPRESSED from always being sick from the pred. and taking some kind of chemo therapy. He changed his awful eating habits too and we think that's why his numbers are no longer in the 1000's. Please help with any advice. I'd love to hear from someone going through this. Thank you.
Stacy

Closed Thread