It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Myositis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
(male)

bsb34 HB User
Polymyositis

Hi

I am a 25 year old white male. For almost 4 months now I have been dealing with upper back pain. Mainly behind my shoudlers, under the neck. MRI's have been relatively inconclusive and I have tried many different treatments.

I recently went back to the gym because nothing else was helping so I just said screw it Ill go back to the gym and see how I feel. I ended up seeing a rheumatologist after several days of weight lifting.

When I saw him, I was extremely sore and tight from having just started weight-lifting for the 1st week in about 5 months. I think you all probably know the feeling you get when you start lifting again. That was my feeling. My blood results came back and my cpk level was 450. The range was 24-204, so obviously I am concerned. My rheumatologist and phsyiatrist both said it was not high and probably the result of the workouts I had been doing.

I am curious to hear other peoples opinions on this.

Thanks so much

Old 08-31-2008, 10:00 PM   #2
(female)

maz70 HB User
Re: Polymyositis

Hi,
Well i can't offer much advice on the weightlifting however i know that exercise does raise the cpk levels which is probably why the docs are not too concerned. If i exercised a lot was the first question the doc asked me when my cpk level was raised. I don't, so they knew something was up. My polymyositis started with lower neck pain and moved onto the throat, legs and arms. Lets hope yours is just from the exercise and not this horrible disease. Have they suggested retesting you when you havent exercised? Well best of luck to you i hope you get it sorted. Take care.
Maz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2008, 02:35 AM   #3
(male)

bsb34 HB User

Hi Maz, thanks for your reply. Yeah that was his first question. He was not concerned at all. I just have the upper back pain. It has never spread anywhere else.

I am sorry that you are forced to deal with this but I admire all of the strength that those afflicted with this display. I wish I had half the strength most of you have.

I am curious to know the nature and course of the disease, as far as the progression of it. I don't know if my cpk levels are high and I assume from all of the research that I have done that I would be tired and experiencing other symptoms.

Thanks

Old 09-02-2008, 01:30 AM   #4
(female)

maz70 HB User

Hi, yes you are right, one of the first symptoms was feeling very rundown and extremely tired. In fact the first doctor i saw diagnosed me with depression and put me on anti-depressants, which of course was incorrect. It took another year before i was diagnosed through a routine blood test. The doctor couldn't believe i hadn't noticed the weakening in my leg and arm muscles, i guess i just got used to it. It wasnt until i looked back on it all that the tripping over and dropping things began to make sense. Whenever i had the pain i just took nurofen and got on with it. So it all came as quite a shock to me when the diagnosis was confirmed especially since i am not that old. Ironically my father in law has the same disease although his is much more severe because of his age. He had tiredness too, weakness and difficulty with swallowing. From what i have been reading it seems different people suffer with different symptoms and i think recovery depends a lot on how quickly you are diagnosed. I have been told it is a wait and see approach, depending on how the body responds to the medication and so forth. Hopefully some others will be able to give you some more information. I really hope you are feeling better soon. Take care.
Maz

Closed Thread