It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Myositis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
(female)

lderaimo HB User
Severe Muscle Aches and Weakness

The last year, I've had severe muscle aches, weakness, and fatigue, especially in my legs. At times, I can't even walk. I think I may have fibromyalgia or myositis. I'm always tired and also get short of breath at times.

In 2002, I had my thyroid removed because of nodules on both sides of my thyroid. They were benign, but were pushing on my trachea, and I was having a hard time breathing, especially when lying down. I'm on 88 mcg. levoxyl. I don't know if these muscle aches, weakness, and fatigue are due to my hypothyroidism or the medication, levoxyl. Has anyone had the same symptoms while taking levoxyl? I've been reading alot about levoxyl causing severe muscle pain and weakness.

These muscle aches are affecting me while I'm working and I don't know if I'm going to be able to continue to work. I'm laid off right now and am considering going on disability.

My Endocrinologist wants me to get an Electromyogram and maybe an MRI, but I have no health insurance so that is out of the question right now.

Can anyone suggest any meds that can help my pain and weakness? Does nutrition and exercise help? Would Coenzyme Q10, Creatine, Fish Oil, Glucosamine, or Calcium help.

Also, what type of doctor should I see for this? Since this may be autoimmune, should I continue to see the Endo?

Thanks.
Lori

Old 07-14-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
(male)

BASEBALLNUT HB User
Re: Severe Muscle Aches and Weakness

he wants to r/o M.S. they all do this . the E.M.G. IS A LITTLE PAINFUL it takes about 1.5 hrs to do i did it the first part is electro shocks like a rubber band popping on your skin. the second part is where stick a needle in your muscle and make you flex it and record this is for A.L.S. and M.S. primary but has other uses, i would lean towards the thyroid stuff you can have normal results and feel like crap i know i have this. hope you find your answer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2009, 03:03 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Keith2468 HB User

I think you should really try to figure out what is wrong with you so you can get on medicines that go after the root cause of your pain or weakness -- assuming such medicines exist for whatever it is you have.

I've had EMG's done 3 times, and I did not find them particularly painful. I think the amount of pain depends a lot on the individual. Also, I think my dermatomyositis has made my skin less sensitive (although that is not an official symptom).

MRIs are pretty expensive and no longer routine for myopathies, although some doctors like them. If the EMG leads towards a myositis type condition, see a rheumatologist of neurologist and see if they think you need an MRI. They may want to just have a skin or muscle biopsy.

The pattern of the muscle weakness and pain can be a big aid to figuring out which illness it is. What parts of the body does it affect? When? Is the weakness or pain the same on both sides of the body?

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/335925-diagnosis
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dermatomyositis/DS00335/DSECTION=tests-and-diagnosis

Last edited by Keith2468; 11-05-2009 at 03:07 AM.

Old 11-12-2009, 01:44 AM   #4
(female)

Ladydee0001 HB User

For the last three years I have been diagnosed with three different autoimmune conditions. One is Myositis. I went through a period where I couldn't walk and ended up in the hospital for two weeks. My pain was in my legs when I was hospitalized, now my shoulders and arms and my neck, seem to have plans that do not include me. My doctor has put me on hydrocortozone that also has acetomenophene (excuse misspelling) because my pain is so great. Some patients are prescribed sterroids. My doctor does not want me back on serttoids because I previously was on high dosages of them (sterroids) and had some not so great side effects. The doctors do not know exactly what my condition is, or why my immune system had attacked me so often. I have had so far 3 episodes of different anti-immune problems. My conditions were antiphospilipic syndrome, vascallitis, and now Myositis. Recently I had an in-patient round of Immune IV threatment that took 5 nights of immune globin (excuse the misspelling.) I hope you find the answers you are looking for. I can empathize with what you are going through. I am currently wondering how long it will be before I can stand up and walk to my room to go to bed. Doc said that I should stat in bed for two or three days. I have visited several websites relating to myositis. They answeres some questions. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Dee

Last edited by Ladydee0001; 11-12-2009 at 01:51 AM.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:14 PM   #5
(female)

Jayhawk9 HB User

If you could get a blood test done to test your creatine kinase level that would help to know if your muscles are damaged. I went through lots of expensive testing before doing this blood test and I was starting to think I was making it up. Then when we finally did this blood test then I knew there was something wrong with my muscles. This may also help you determine if you need a more expensive test ... ie muscle biopsy.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:18 AM   #6
(female)

madeleena668 HB User

What was your TSH? I have been having the same symptoms. Weakness in my legs and arms, sob, elevated CPK's, adb bloating, my thyroid TSH level was through the roof. Actually 160 . The symptoms are the same as myositis but are caused by low thyroid levels. The Endocrinologist thought maybe a bad batch of generic meds could be the cause since 3 months ago my TSH values were controlled and at a normal level. I'm not convinced that is the case.
Good luck, I am still waiting for answers as well. Hopefully will find something out this week.

Closed Thread