It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Myositis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
(female)

jode HB User
Elevated cpk

Daughter had a 500 cpk level when she had blood tested. Dr doesn't seem too concerned. Last week she did have some weakness in her legs and arms, loose stool and thought maybe it was the flu. No other symptoms. Her arms and legs started feeling much better Sat., 4 days later. This all started on a Tuesday, so hasn't quite been a week? Any ideas? Much appreciated. She was taking the birth control pill Yaz, which she stopped Wed. She is 33She had her gallbladder out last Oct.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:28 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Keith2468 HB User
Re: Elevated cpk

CK (cpk) can go up for a few days for many reasons.

The doctor should re-test it in a couple of weeks. If it stays at 500 it means something.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2009, 04:54 AM   #3
(female)

jode HB User

Thank you for your reply. Can a virus cause it? She is back to normal or she says now?, but is planning to have a retest in about a week.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:02 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Keith2468 HB User

I'm pretty sure there must be some viruses that can cause muscle damage (I got some hits in google searching on creatine kinase and virus). One high CK reading and temporary flu-like symptoms for a week is probably meaningless.

Getting the re-test is the right thing to do. It is important to do. But if the the other symptoms are gone, and the CK returns to normal, she probably just had a virus, a bump or something that was so minor she doesn't remember it.

Myositis only occurs in 1 in 50,000 to 1 in 100,000 people. The other causes of single high CK test results occur much more frequently than that.

I hope she's fine.

- Keith

Last edited by Keith2468; 11-06-2009 at 05:06 PM.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
(female)

jode HB User

Thanks so much, I will keep you posted! My mother did have polymyositis! I am trying not to remain positive. She got it in her 70's. I do know how rare it is. How old are you? R U doing well? If when she goes back and it is still elevated we will proceed from there. Thank you again.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:05 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Keith2468 HB User

How is your daughter doing? I hope her cpk has gone back to normal.

I'm 55. I'm thankful I didn't get my DM until I was 52. I was able to keep working for a couple of years, and I'm still able to live on my own, go for walks (with many rests), but I haven't been in remission -- not yet.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:23 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB Usermim HB User

Hi do either one of you have problems with chewing or swallowing during your times of muscle weakness? I have been having transient episodes of 3 days to 2 weeks at a time of intense weakness of my arms and legs and feeling of complete exhaustion. My cpk levels were checked and were elevated. Rechecked in 2 months back to normal, rechecked again in 2 months and elevated. Right now we are just testing. I have fibromyalgia, full body arthritis, burned out Graves disease, and a closed head injury. Having multiple issues makes it a challenge for my neurologist and rheumatologist to pinpoint all the other symptoms I have. The "easy" answer for my gp is to say it is all immune dysfunction or fibromyalgia. Hope ya'll are doing good.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:25 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Keith2468 HB User

Hi mimgregg -

Weakness swallowing can occur with PM and DM, but my understanding is normally only in very severe cases, or towards the end of long chronic illness. (I'm afraid to ask how long "long" is.) And weakness chewing must occur too, but for some reason they don't mention it (like trouble controlling the bowels isn't mentioned).

From the medical articles I've read, it is the pattern of weakness, which muscles and whether or not both sides of the body are affected, that is the preliminary diagnostic indicator.

Then they do an EMG test, and if the EMG test doesn't show another disease, and does fit with PM or DM, they order up a biopsy.

The definitive thing with PM is the muscle biopsy and with DM the muscle or skin biopsy.

Of course just because something is rare doesn't mean it can't happen. My DM affects my tongue, sometimes makes it grow wider (left to right) so I find myself biting it when I talk or eat.

It goes away with the same treatments as make the rest of my DM go away.

My rheumatologist said the tongue couldn't be affected, so I went looking in google for medical journal articles, and I found one case where MDs confirmed PM damage in a man's tongue with an MRI and muscle biopsy.

Does fibromyalgia affect CK levels? It might if it lead to a fall, or lead you to strain your muscles really hard. (Over-exercising and injuries drive up CK levels too. But then the CK levels start going back down on their own in a few days or a couple of weeks.)

Hopefully your autoimmune problems are in a family that all respond to the same sorts of drugs. But who knows.

Good luck.

Post back or message me how you're doing when you find out more.

- Keith

Last edited by Keith2468; 12-15-2009 at 02:26 PM.

Closed Thread