It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Myositis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #1
(male)

duncan1 HB User
Myositis and Lyme Disease

The symptoms of Lyme Disease and Myositis are very nearly indistinguishable. Dr Allan Steere commented on this when he began his initial investigations of Lyme Disease over 20 years ago. This does not mean that all cases of myositis are caused by LD, but it does mean that LD must be considered as a differential diagnosis, and that if your myositis doesn't respond to treatment, that a course of antibiotics should be considered, even if the LD blood tests are negative.

The Following User Says Thank You to duncan1 For This Useful Post:
lydmom (08-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
(male)

duncan1 HB User
Re: Myositis and Lyme Disease

I just thought I would comment again.

Myositis and Lyme Disease have virtually the same symptoms and DM has been proven to be triggered by Lyme Disease infection. I would strongly urge Myositis sufferers to especially consider the possibility of Lyme Disease and to consider presumptive treatment with 6 month course of tetracycline class antibiotics, especially minocycline, if your treatment regimen has not produced the desired results.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
(female)

Iodine64 HB User

I found this very interesting as I had my doctor check me for lyme disease a few years after my Polymyositis was diagnosed. I was certain after having read an article in Discover Magazine that Lyme disease was what I had. I didn't have it though. But this validates my line of thinking.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
(female)

shar621 HB User

I wish more doctors had your thinking. When i went to my rheum that i would like to get antibiotics to treat my condition he said no beause thers no evidence of this. I got the prescription from my dermatologist. I visit him recently and he said not to take any more. Basically he is become skeptic about taking the antibiotic for too long. Since taking it my cpk numbers are going down and i am improving. I dont know what i am going to do when it runs out but i will fight these doctors to give my another prescription.

Closed Thread