It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Myositis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2010, 05:15 AM   #1
(female)

jwood HB User
Question Muscle Weakness - Unexplained

Our son (age 20) tested positive for influenza A in November 2009. With no treatment, it took months for him to feel better, but since then, he has been experiencing muscle weakness. Having trouble climbing stairs, walking long distances, picking up or carrying anything of weight. He has fallen a few times getting in/out of cars, climbing stairs, etc. Tires easily. He has no pain.

He has been tested for various things, but so far all results have been normal.
Spinal tap, potassium check, MRI of brain, various blood work (of which, I don't understand some of those), etc.

He will finally get to meet with a neurologist in a couple of weeks for an EMG test.

I have been researching myself, trying to find answers, but thought I see if anyone else has had this problem and if you had an answer.

Thanks for reading.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
(female)

shar621 HB User
Re: Muscle Weakness - Unexplained

wow i now its unfortunate when you are young and have unexplained symptoms. I recommended when you go to the doctor, ask about muscle biopsy, an emg test and blood test to check the protein creatine level. I have an autoimmune disease called polymyositis. The symptons of your son's sounds like my condition. Good luck on everything.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2010, 07:39 PM   #3
(male)

pedro143 HB User

[ I recommended when you go to the Reumatology that is way i start Ck. for CPK test for polymitosis or dermamytosis Good Luck

Ck side mytosis in mda all info is there

QUOTE=jwood;4281679]Our son (age 20) tested positive for influenza A in November 2009. With no treatment, it took months for him to feel better, but since then, he has been experiencing muscle weakness. Having trouble climbing stairs, walking long distances, picking up or carrying anything of weight. He has fallen a few times getting in/out of cars, climbing stairs, etc. Tires easily. He has no pain.

He has been tested for various things, but so far all results have been normal.
Spinal tap, potassium check, MRI of brain, various blood work (of which, I don't understand some of those), etc.

He will finally get to meet with a neurologist in a couple of weeks for an EMG test.

I have been researching myself, trying to find answers, but thought I see if anyone else has had this problem and if you had an answer.

Thanks for reading.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by pedro143; 07-15-2010 at 07:40 PM.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
(female)

jwood HB User

CPK results are within normal range but on the low end. Normal range is 55-170. Son tested at 76. ESR bloodwork is a 2. Normal range is 0-10.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
(female)

caring12 HB Usercaring12 HB User

Have you been on the CDC site to what they have to say about this? I got it when I was a kid in the 70s and was not my usual self for nearly 2 yrs. It could be the flu itself did this or triggered something else. YOu are at least on the right path ruling things out. I am sorry.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
(female)

jwood HB User

How would I look up this kind of info on the CDD site?

Old 04-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
(male)

scrossman HB User

I was wondering if you ever found out what was wrong with your son. I'm a 22 year old male and about 2 months ago I got intestinal flu. Since then I've had similar symptoms to your son... Extreme muscle weakness, stiff legs if I walk too far, difficult ascending stairs. I used to do cardio and weight training at gym before I got sick, and could easily bicep curl 14kg weights. Now I stuggle to pick up anything that weighs more than 5kgs. I had blood tests and they didn't pick up anything. I was hoping you could give me an idea of what it could be before I pursue further tests.

Thanks
Shaun

Old 04-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
(female)

jwood HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharimagia View Post
wow i now its unfortunate when you are young and have unexplained symptoms. I recommended when you go to the doctor, ask about muscle biopsy, an emg test and blood test to check the protein creatine level. I have an autoimmune disease called polymyositis. The symptons of your son's sounds like my condition. Good luck on everything.
Thank you, but we now have an answer. MG (Myasthenia Gravis) He takes medicine which helps him with strength and he is doing well.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #9
(female)

jwood HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrossman View Post
I was wondering if you ever found out what was wrong with your son. I'm a 22 year old male and about 2 months ago I got intestinal flu. Since then I've had similar symptoms to your son... Extreme muscle weakness, stiff legs if I walk too far, difficult ascending stairs. I used to do cardio and weight training at gym before I got sick, and could easily bicep curl 14kg weights. Now I stuggle to pick up anything that weighs more than 5kgs. I had blood tests and they didn't pick up anything. I was hoping you could give me an idea of what it could be before I pursue further tests.

Thanks
Shaun
Hi Shaun. Yes, we did get some answers. It took 1 year, but finally a neurologist figured it out. It was a simple blood test. Our son was diagnosed with MG (Myasthenia Gravis) It's an auto-immune muscle disease, but it totally treatable. He now takes medicine that helps his nerves to communicate with his muscle and makes him stronger. It wears off like Tylenol and then he takes another pill. He is 21 now and coping well. Learning what he can and can't do, but he can do way more than he can't. I hope you find some answers and I"m sure your parents are hoping for the same thing. Best to you Shaun.

PS. MG has some do with an enlarged thymus. I don't remember if it was an MRI or a cat scan, but it showed that our sons was only a little enlarged. They decided to remove the thymus (it's behind our breastplate) as the chances of MG going into remission is far greater without the thymus.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #10
(female)

jwood HB User
Re: Muscle Weakness - Myasthenia Gravis

It has been over a year now that our son was diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis and has been on medication (Mestinon). He is doing very well

The following user gives a hug of support to jwood:
hopefloats36 (02-22-2013)
Old 01-12-2013, 02:05 AM   #11
(male)

dredwinf HB User

when you square measure young and have unexplained symptoms. I counseled after you attend the doctor, raise concerning muscle diagnostic assay, AN electromyogram take a look at and biopsy to envision the supermolecule aminoalkanoic acid level. I actually have AN disease referred to as myositis. The symptons of your son's seems like my condition.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:46 AM   #12
(female)

hopefloats36 HB Userhopefloats36 HB User
Re: Muscle Weakness - Myasthenia Gravis

To jwood,
Glad to hear your son's MG is being managed well with medication.

Continued better health for your son. :-)

Last edited by Administrator; 02-22-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #13
(male)

Caf2267 HB User

Jwood,

I am a 23 year old male and have the same symptoms you described for your son. I originally thought it was due to my recent diagnoses of hemochromatosis but my ferritin levels are fine. I feel like my back to back illnesses triggered this....I had the flu for 2 weeks and a month later a sinus infection.

My symptoms:

1. Significant weakness set in 3 weeks ago.
2. Severe increase in weakness 2 weeks ago (I walk very slow and cannot do a push up despite being a fit/athletic individual.
3. I have no pain and the muscle weakness affects my whole body (legs, arms, core, chest, back, etc...)

The weakness seems to have plateaued but it definitely spikes every now and again and I walk slower as the day progresses.

Thank you for your help!

-Caf2267

Old 04-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #14
(male)

Simon87 HB User

I have something Similar... no Doctor can find anything
had MRO, lumber puncture, spine checks, blood tests

Last edited by Simon87; 04-04-2013 at 04:41 PM.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:32 AM   #15
(male)

Here2chat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon87 View Post
I have something Similar... no Doctor can find anything
had MRO, lumber puncture, spine checks, blood tests

See a Naturuapathic Doctor. They are very helpful with things of this sort. It may be that there's an issue in the intestines which may cause a chain of other issues in the body. When a gland is inflamed, I would caution anyone not to remove the gland, instead, look for the origin of the problem. Conventional medicine only looks for symptoms. Naturopathy looks for the origin and treats it to resolve the problem. I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you.

Reply Reply