It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Myositis Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
(female)

bxq HB User
Unable to live Prednisone-free

Hi,

Has anyone found themselves medicated with Prednisone for over a few years without having a break in the Prednisone?

My doctors are unable to get me off Prednisone. My CK elevates too high when I go under 8mg of Prednisone.

As a result of prolonged use of Prednisone at moderate levels , I have been diagnosed with Cataracts.

Has anyone been unable to eliminate Prednisone regardless of infusion treatment?

Thanks,
bxq

The following user gives a hug of support to bxq:
jymany (12-30-2010)
Old 12-28-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
(female)

jymany HB User
Re: Unable to live Prednisone-free

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxq View Post
Hi,

Has anyone found themselves medicated with Prednisone for over a few years without having a break in the Prednisone?

My doctors are unable to get me off Prednisone. My CK elevates too high when I go under 8mg of Prednisone.

As a result of prolonged use of Prednisone at moderate levels , I have been diagnosed with Cataracts.

Has anyone been unable to eliminate Prednisone regardless of infusion treatment?

Thanks,
bxq
Hi, bxq!

I have been on prednisone for two years. Started at 40 mg/day and now at 5/mg (since Nov. 2010). I also inject methotrexate every week. CPK 2 years ago was at 7,000. It came down to 150 last spring and then bumped back up to 600 in July. Last month it had come down to 350. I see Doc again in end of January. I'm hoping for the best. I don't like injecting and my hair falling out as a result of methotrexate but I think prednisone side effects are worse. Was taking 7-1/2 mg/day of prednisone in Nov. when Doc cut it to 5 mg. but increased the injection. So, what I think: the disease will be managed by prednisone and methotrexate. Wouldn't be my first choices--I don't want to take anything more than an aspirin--of med but I have to say that I feel better today than I have for two years. Also through two years, I've had the muscle biopsy that turned up nothing; later a blood clot at that site and one clot in each lung. In September, pneumonia. So, I really have to be watchful--wash hands, stay away from people who might be sick (how do you know) and get enough sleep (which I don't do). Kind of a bummer--this autoimmune but must stay upbeat!

julie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2010, 05:38 AM   #3
(female)

bxq HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jymany View Post
Hi, bxq!

I have been on prednisone for two years. Started at 40 mg/day and now at 5/mg (since Nov. 2010). I also inject methotrexate every week. CPK 2 years ago was at 7,000. It came down to 150 last spring and then bumped back up to 600 in July. Last month it had come down to 350. I see Doc again in end of January. I'm hoping for the best. I don't like injecting and my hair falling out as a result of methotrexate but I think prednisone side effects are worse. Was taking 7-1/2 mg/day of prednisone in Nov. when Doc cut it to 5 mg. but increased the injection. So, what I think: the disease will be managed by prednisone and methotrexate. Wouldn't be my first choices--I don't want to take anything more than an aspirin--of med but I have to say that I feel better today than I have for two years. Also through two years, I've had the muscle biopsy that turned up nothing; later a blood clot at that site and one clot in each lung. In September, pneumonia. So, I really have to be watchful--wash hands, stay away from people who might be sick (how do you know) and get enough sleep (which I don't do). Kind of a bummer--this autoimmune but must stay upbeat!

julie

Old 12-29-2010, 05:42 AM   #4
(female)

bxq HB User

Julie,

Thanks for sharing your story with me. It sounds like you're doing okay these days.

Prednisone has worked wonders for me eliminating pain, and stabilizing the CK level. The only thing when I was diagnosed with Cataracts two months ago due to prolonged use of moderate doeses of Prednisone, it made me wonder what else will happen staying on 10mg of Prednisone.

The Opthamologist doing my eye surgery will be keeping close watch that Glaucoma does not set in. That too is a condition that can develop from prolonged use of Prednisone.

Have a Happy and Healthy New Year,

bxq

Closed Thread