It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Myositis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
(female)

klutz1 HB User
How long should I do IVIG treatments?

My neurologist is giving IVIG to me for Polymyositis to keep me from taking Prednisone and I responded well for a year and a half. My rheumetologist doesn't think I need the IVIG now, that the Imuran is probably enough and I should get off the IVIG and see what happens. My husband just lost his job and insurance and I am starting expensive COBRA insurance and can continue IVIG till the end of the year without any extra cost except the insurance, but at the first of the year I will have to come up with another 5,000 dollars deductible out of pocket (and I already owe that DR. 7,000). I think this might be a good time to get off it and see, but I'm scared to, I don't want to have to go on Pred. I WON"T. I feel good now, my CPK and aldolase numbers have been good, (maybe they will stay good when I stop IVIG, or maybe they will go up, I don't know). I know the two doctors disagree, I know what the neuro will say, he will want me to stay on it, but I can't afford it either.
My question is, I know some of you have been on IVIG for a long time. Have you heard of other people who have been able to take IVIG for a while and then be able to get off of it without their CPK and aldolase numbers going up, or does everyone usually have to stay on it indefinitely.
I would appreciate any wisdom or info you may have!
Thanks!
Texas -Polymyositis, SLE, scleroderma, thyroiditis, psoriatic arthritis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply