It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2003, 09:02 AM   #1

slee6956 HB User
To Marti - Black and Blue Toenail!

Marti - I posted this is the foot forum but I specifically wanted your advice - so I thought I'd post here too!

I wore VERY uncomfortable shoes for a long time last weekend, and since then both big toenails have started to go black and blue. However, on the right toe, only about half of it (the right side of the nail) is affected, and on the left toe, only about 25% of the nail's left side is affected. What are the chances that the entire nail will fall off? Its funny, cause the parts that aren't affected are a perfectly healthy color, but I'm not sure if the bruising will grow out or half the nail will pull away from the nail bed. Please help!! Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2003, 12:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: To Marti - Black and Blue Toenail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slee6956
Marti - I posted this is the foot forum but I specifically wanted your advice - so I thought I'd post here too!

I wore VERY uncomfortable shoes for a long time last weekend, and since then both big toenails have started to go black and blue. However, on the right toe, only about half of it (the right side of the nail) is affected, and on the left toe, only about 25% of the nail's left side is affected. What are the chances that the entire nail will fall off? Its funny, cause the parts that aren't affected are a perfectly healthy color, but I'm not sure if the bruising will grow out or half the nail will pull away from the nail bed. Please help!! Thank you!
If the bruising begins at the lateral nail fold (the side), then only that portion of the damaged nail plate may eventually lift from the nail bed. The nail plate does not 'always' lift from the nail bed - it depends entirely on how much trauma was suffered by the nails - in other words, how much pressure was applied by the shoes. If it was enough to make the nail bed 'bleed', then it may cause that portion to separate. If it does separate, DO NOT go digging in the area of separation in an attempt to remove all the discoloration from the blood. You can soak your feet in an epsom salt solution to soften the blood, which will help to 'flush' it from the area. Digging in the area of lift can cause even more trauma. The nail will grow back in attached to the nail bed, and the damaged portion will grow forward where you can file it away.

If it does separate, keep the nails short and a little more rounded on that portion of nail until they grow back in 'normal'.

NEVER wear shoes that hurt your feet - no matter how pretty they are! Those are the only feet you have, and believe me - wearing too tight shoes or standing on your feet all day can cause painful neuromas between your toes adn then you will have to have surgery! It's just not worth it.

I often wonder if the people who design that type of shoe actually wear them!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2003, 02:21 PM   #3

slee6956 HB User

THANK YOU Marti! I'm saving this information if/when my nail separates. The portion of nail which is actually dark blue is only about half a centimetre on the right, the rest is a light purplish hue. However, it seems to be getting darker as the days go by.

I've THROWN OUT the shoes that caused this - and have worn nothing but comfy sneakers since. Since I work from home I've benefitted from letting my feet calm down for most of the week. I'm hoping that the extra TLC I've been giving them will alleviate some of the trauma.

But you're right - I dare the manufacturer of those shoes to spend 2 hours in them!!

Old 01-02-2004, 06:12 PM   #4

slee6956 HB User

Marti (or anyone else!) is it safe to paint the toenails that have gone dark? At my last visit to my doctor I showed him the toenails - he seemed to think that the darkness would grow out, as there was not much bleeding under the nail plate, just bruising. However, I'm going on vacation next month (Cuba!) and I forgot to ask him if its okay to paint the suckers if they in fact do not separate. Any advice?

Last edited by slee6956; 01-02-2004 at 06:13 PM.

Old 01-04-2004, 12:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slee6956
Marti (or anyone else!) is it safe to paint the toenails that have gone dark? At my last visit to my doctor I showed him the toenails - he seemed to think that the darkness would grow out, as there was not much bleeding under the nail plate, just bruising. However, I'm going on vacation next month (Cuba!) and I forgot to ask him if its okay to paint the suckers if they in fact do not separate. Any advice?
Polishing the nails will not cause a problem. The only problem I see is if the ppolish you use is not dark enough to cover the bruising. Try a very dark red, but be sure to use a good base coat to prevent nail plate staining and a good top coat to seal the polish.

Closed Thread