It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2004, 05:47 PM   #1
(female)

tweeteebird HB User
Soft nails

Does anyone know the reason why finger nails get soft? Is there a lack of a vitimin?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2004, 06:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Soft nails

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeteebird
Does anyone know the reason why finger nails get soft? Is there a lack of a vitimin?
Fingernails are very funny things and react to so many outside/inside elements, or the lack of elements.

Nails are made up of the same type of keratin protein as hair, although the nails become hard and hair does not. When the nail plate cells develop in the matrix, they are soft, round and plump. As they grow forward on the nail bed, they lose their inner material and become flat and hard. The hardest cells are the oldest cells; the ones closest to the free edge.

If your nails are naturally soft, it is more than likely genetic. If they have become soft, it is more than likely an internal disorder of some kind. That, or you are using a household cleaning solution that is effecting your nails. You might want to try wearing gloves when you have your hands in any kind of cleaning solution - including water. If the nails do not improve within a few weeks, you may want to see your doctor. Any sudden change in the nail plate is cause for concern.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2004, 05:24 PM   #3

mggn1 HB User

That NutraNail they advertise on TV actually works. I'm pretty sure you can buy it at any retail store such as Walmart (I got mine as a gift) I also had very soft nails, and have been using it for 2 weeks. I now have the longest nails of my life!

Old 06-03-2004, 03:42 PM   #4
(female)

cuRIOUsLexy HB User

I think imma buy that stuff, my nails are are the worst. Let me know if it works for you too.

Closed Thread