It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2004, 02:32 PM   #1

logical_ditz HB User
2 toenails on 1 toe?

My pinky toenail has always had a split appearance, one side has been peeling up and become painful. I have to cut it off all the time. Is there anthing I can do to stop this?

Old 02-07-2004, 09:06 AM   #2

Tourmaline HB User
Re: 2 toenails on 1 toe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical_ditz
My pinky toenail has always had a split appearance, one side has been peeling up and become painful. I have to cut it off all the time. Is there anthing I can do to stop this?
I have the same problem. Have you ever stubbed your toe or caught the nail on something and had it rip off...because thats what I believe caused my double toenail...it was normal until I was in the eleventh grade and I was running to get the phone and stubbed my toe on a stone hearth. I figure I must have split the root of the nail or something.

Anyways, I dont really have any real solution, my mom is always telling me I should just get the entire nail taken off at the doctors but that makes me cringe*lol* I just keep mine trimmed extra short and it seems to help alot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2004, 04:38 PM   #3

logical_ditz HB User

That may be what happened. I don't remember that always being that way.. Who knows.. I have been just keeping mine trimmed up too. Thanks!

Old 02-08-2004, 09:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical_ditz
That may be what happened. I don't remember that always being that way.. Who knows.. I have been just keeping mine trimmed up too. Thanks!
A nail that splits down the vertical center has experienced some sort of trauma to the nail bed. The center split is caused by the ridges in the nail bed extending upward until they literally split the plate into two separate portions with live tissue between them. Only cut of the free edge and do not attempt to remove any portion of the attached nail from the bed.

Last edited by Marti; 02-08-2004 at 09:15 AM.

Old 02-13-2004, 11:11 AM   #5

logical_ditz HB User

thank you for the advice!

Old 04-21-2006, 07:30 AM   #6
(female)

Spath1phyllum HB User

I just had my split pinky toenails removed. Both my pinky toenails had split nails that were catching on everything, throbbing and very painful wether I had shoes on or not. I noticed these alien nails were starting to get so big that they were taking over my nice looking nails. They are grotesque looking; wavy, bumpy, and discolored. I tried yanking them out with pliers. Boy did that hurt, even after a foot soak for hour or so and slowly working the nails back and forth until I thought they were pliable and soft enough to yank with pliers. Tears and pain. My husband had yanked his off with Pliers but he said he did it when the split alien split nails were SMALL not large like mine. My family doctor referred me to a foot doctor and the foot doctor took the alien nails off.
My pinky toes were numbed and put to sleep with slight stinging and pain. Then the doctor dug down and clipped the nails off, put some kind of chemical in there to deaden the nail growth. Bandaged me up and I walked ( actually hobbled ) out.
There is a 2 percent chance that they will grow back, maybe an infection and something else. The doctor has to warn you of the slight chances of certain things happening to cover themselves as usual on any type of surgery. I have a followup in a week to see how the pinky toes are doing.
It wasn't bad at all.

Closed Thread