It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2004, 09:31 PM   #1

darkhelmetGT HB User
Black spot on nail

Hola

On the 2nd nail on my right foot and my 4th nail on my left foot (1st being the big toe), I have a black spot right at the base, where the nail meets the skin (opposite from the edge of the toe). It's at the same exact spot in both toes, it's symmetrical, and it doesn't intrude onto my skin. It also doesn't extend far onto my toenails at all. I also believe that these spots are pretty new. I've never noticed them before.

I've done a lot of research on this already, and I haven't found much since my situation appears to be unique. I've looked into melanomas and such, and my own diagnosis and observations don't match anything I've found. The fact that this is on two different nails (not just one occurance) and on nails that I know I've been messing with leads me to believe that this is probably my own doing and it will clear up soon (I haven't noticed it before). Anyways.....

I have a real bad case of nail and toe fungus, so most of my toenails are pretty easy to break. Because of this, I like to rip off the ugly top part of the nail (I like to tear my nails, and tear off scabs from sores as well....It's a bad habit). In fact, I've torn off the entire top part of both of these nails before (and others). Sometimes the nails bleed after I tear them off, and other times they don't bleed at all. Are the black spots just bruises from the nail tears? What should I do?

Last edited by darkhelmetGT; 02-15-2004 at 09:50 PM.

Old 02-16-2004, 05:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Black spot on nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhelmetGT
Hola

On the 2nd nail on my right foot and my 4th nail on my left foot (1st being the big toe), I have a black spot right at the base, where the nail meets the skin (opposite from the edge of the toe). It's at the same exact spot in both toes, it's symmetrical, and it doesn't intrude onto my skin. It also doesn't extend far onto my toenails at all. I also believe that these spots are pretty new. I've never noticed them before.

I've done a lot of research on this already, and I haven't found much since my situation appears to be unique. I've looked into melanomas and such, and my own diagnosis and observations don't match anything I've found. The fact that this is on two different nails (not just one occurance) and on nails that I know I've been messing with leads me to believe that this is probably my own doing and it will clear up soon (I haven't noticed it before). Anyways.....

I have a real bad case of nail and toe fungus, so most of my toenails are pretty easy to break. Because of this, I like to rip off the ugly top part of the nail (I like to tear my nails, and tear off scabs from sores as well....It's a bad habit). In fact, I've torn off the entire top part of both of these nails before (and others). Sometimes the nails bleed after I tear them off, and other times they don't bleed at all. Are the black spots just bruises from the nail tears? What should I do?

To begin with, you shouldn't be tearing off your nail plate as it protects the underlying soft tissues of the nail bed. Doing this allows for bacterium and fungal spores to gain easier access to the nail bed where they set up housekeeping and turn into full-blown infections. If you have nail fungus, you can either go see your doctor for Lamasil treatments, or treat the effected nails yourslef with twice daily applications of Vick's Vapor Rub - pusing it into the area of lift and between the nail bed and the nail plate.

The black at the base of the nail can signify bleeding in the matrix which is where the nail plate cells are born. Continuing to traumatize the nails in the manner you stated can lead to permanent nail damage.

Blood in the matrix can also signify a nail mole that may or may not be cancerous. I would advise seeing a dermatologist to determine how much damage you have done to your toes, and if the blood may signify a nail mole.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2004, 10:02 AM   #3

darkhelmetGT HB User

Thanks for the advice. I had no idea that what I was doing could cause permanent nail damage. That's certainly a good reason to stop doing it.

It's good that you mentioned blood, because I think that may be the cause of this. I didn't mention this earlier, but when I first noticed the spot on my toe, I proceeded to peel it off. Sure enough, it was red on the bottom, but dark on the top (I still have it for my dermatologist visit).

I think that this is probably trauma related. Towards the end of January, I went to Las Vegas for 5 days. I walked for miles and miles every day, and my body was aching after that trip. The damage was so bad, that I had a small cyst between my legs, and chafing all around my waist and thighs. No doubt that this could very well be related to all of that walking (since the feet do all of the work)

Still, I will see a dermatologist, just to be safe, and for peace of mind (I tend to get paranoid and suffer from anxiety).

Thanks again.

Last edited by darkhelmetGT; 02-16-2004 at 06:55 PM.

Old 02-26-2004, 07:02 PM   #4

darkhelmetGT HB User

Update: I saw my dermatologist on Wednesday morning, and she confirmed that the black mark was internal bleeding (I assume it's from the stress I put on my feet last month) and not a melanoma.

Closed Thread