It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2004, 09:13 PM   #1

magicdust HB User
Daughters nails are bumpy????

Hi,
I noticed a few months ago my 7 year old nails were very bumpy, but it was only her thumbs and I thought maybe she was chewing on them. I haven't seen her chew on them and now today when I was cutting them a lot more are bumpy, from the cuticle to the tip??????? Very strange. Has anyone else heard of this? Any information...please

Thank you

Old 02-22-2004, 09:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Daughters nails are bumpy????

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicdust
Hi,
I noticed a few months ago my 7 year old nails were very bumpy, but it was only her thumbs and I thought maybe she was chewing on them. I haven't seen her chew on them and now today when I was cutting them a lot more are bumpy, from the cuticle to the tip??????? Very strange. Has anyone else heard of this? Any information...please

Thank you
Does the nail plate appear to be bumpy because it is becoming pitted? Does it appear to be bumpy due to vertical or horizontal ridges? This would ake a very BIG difference! Pitting is characteristic of nail psoriasis. Horizontal ridges are characteristic of Beaus Lines, and vertical ridging can be due to thyroid problems, a very dried out nail plae, or a damaged matrix from a 'nervous-tic' habit such as biting down on the nail plate at the base of the nail, or simply from scratching the area with another fingernail.

Last edited by Marti; 02-22-2004 at 09:13 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2004, 09:53 PM   #3

magicdust HB User

Hi,
thanks so much for the reply. They seem to be pitted. A lot of indentations in the nail all over. It's strange, because it's only on her fingernails not on her toe nails at all. And I never see her messing with them.

Old 02-23-2004, 05:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicdust
Hi,
thanks so much for the reply. They seem to be pitted. A lot of indentations in the nail all over. It's strange, because it's only on her fingernails not on her toe nails at all. And I never see her messing with them.
I would take her to the dermatologist right away. Since you verified that the nails were pitted, I am positive it is nail psoriasis. If it is, it will compromise all of her fingernails and quite possibly the toenails as well. Nail psoriasis cannot be cured, it can only be controlled.

Check out this page on my (approved by Moderator 1) website, then do a search on the internet. This is nothing to mess with!

[url]http://www.hooked-on-nails.com/naildisorders.html[/url]

Old 09-28-2004, 04:07 PM   #5

akopet HB User

Did you ever find out what it was. My now 10 year old son started to get the same thing when he was 7 and now it id really bad. We took him to the doctors and they told us not to worry about it. HELP!

Old 09-29-2004, 05:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akopet
Did you ever find out what it was. My now 10 year old son started to get the same thing when he was 7 and now it id really bad. We took him to the doctors and they told us not to worry about it. HELP!
Pitted nails are a sign of nail psoriasis. Type those words in your web browser and you will find pictures of the disorder. If your son's nails look anything like the photographs, DEMAND attention from your dermatologist! Nail psoriasis can sometimes effect the surrounding skin as well, so getting it under control now is the best avenue of prevention.

Old 10-07-2004, 12:59 PM   #7
(female)

Jacquie23 HB User

I also got it when I was 7 and now I'm 23 and thinking maybe I can treat this, but over the years I just remove any yellow with nail clippers and I file some of the bumps down. it don't hurt and I don't go close to the plate of the nail. then a few years it seem to be almost fully gone, but now its back, and almost in the same places. however I have never had it on my toes, but then again once in grad 3 I hardly hit my toe nail and it fell off so easly, I though it was the same thing as my nails.

Also the white tips alwasy moved downward like my nails were easly lifting. not at the tip like most people, but lowere like someone who bit low.

Old 10-07-2004, 01:11 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquie23
I also got it when I was 7 and now I'm 23 and thinking maybe I can treat this, but over the years I just remove any yellow with nail clippers and I file some of the bumps down. it don't hurt and I don't go close to the plate of the nail. then a few years it seem to be almost fully gone, but now its back, and almost in the same places. however I have never had it on my toes, but then again once in grad 3 I hardly hit my toe nail and it fell off so easly, I though it was the same thing as my nails.

Also the white tips alwasy moved downward like my nails were easly lifting. not at the tip like most people, but lowere like someone who bit low.
One cannot 'cure' psoriasis of the nails; the best they can hope for is to keep it under control. Have you tried applying a good quality nail and cuticle oil that contains jojoba and vitamin E on a twice daily schedule? It might keep them from becoming brittle. I usually recommend Botanical Oil from the nail department of Sally Beauty Supply.

Old 10-07-2004, 05:09 PM   #9
(female)

Jacquie23 HB User

yes I use vitamin E and it makes it not so brittle. which helps but I was thinking the lifting may be becasue of a lack of Calcuim or some vitiamin. because it did go dorment for some years but now it is back. another thing, is I have no cuticoles, (if I spelled that right) and there is nothing I can do about it, it is very strange, they dry up and brake off quickly. but that may be why they are so bumpy. no protection when they are growing in. kind of like how someone asked if the child was biting down and disrupting the groth.

if that makes any sence

Old 10-08-2004, 04:47 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquie23
yes I use vitamin E and it makes it not so brittle. which helps but I was thinking the lifting may be becasue of a lack of Calcuim or some vitiamin. because it did go dorment for some years but now it is back. another thing, is I have no cuticoles, (if I spelled that right) and there is nothing I can do about it, it is very strange, they dry up and brake off quickly. but that may be why they are so bumpy. no protection when they are growing in. kind of like how someone asked if the child was biting down and disrupting the groth.

if that makes any sence
Cuticle skin isn't the skin you can see that grows around the nail unit. It is translucent skin that grows forward on the nail plate from under the fold of skin that touches the nail plate. It is your eponychium that peels, adn it would benefit from daily applications of a mixture of jojoba oil and vitamin E. Vitamin E on its own cannot penetrate the nail plate or the skin because the molecules are too large. When vitamin E is mixed with jojoba, the jojoba molecules are small enough to penetrate the skin, open up the pores and draw the vitamin E in after it. Works MUCH better this way.

Psoriasis attacks the nail bed and pits the tissues. As the nail plate grows forward, it dips into these pits and the nail plate cells become void of their inner material, leaving the nail plae dry and britle. 'Constant' rehydration will help, but it won't cure the problem. The lifting or separation of the nail plate from the nail bed could quite possible be due to a yeast infection which could only be determined by your doctor. It could also be due to the symptoms of psoriasis.

Closed Thread