It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2004, 09:34 PM   #1

bradco HB User
thin dark line on one nail

on one of my nails, there is a thin dark line flowing paralell to the regular growth. i am wondering what it is. and if you know, plese tell me if thre are any more side effects and if i should be worried. thank you

Old 02-23-2004, 04:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: thin dark line on one nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradco
on one of my nails, there is a thin dark line flowing paralell to the regular growth. i am wondering what it is. and if you know, plese tell me if thre are any more side effects and if i should be worried. thank you

It is just a 'Splinter Hemorrhage' and is not a problem you need to worry about. These will appear from time to time in the nail plate due a void in the nail plate layers that fill up with blood from the nail bed. It will grow out with the nail plate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2004, 02:45 PM   #3

bradco HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marti
It is just a 'Splinter Hemorrhage' and is not a problem you need to worry about. These will appear from time to time in the nail plate due a void in the nail plate layers that fill up with blood from the nail bed. It will grow out with the nail plate.
thank you. now my fallow up to that is, you say it will grow out. i have had it for a while now, and i don't see it stopping, as the nail grows, this continues to grow aswell. is it still what you think it is?

Old 02-24-2004, 12:30 AM   #4
(female)

lu55 HB User

I have a similar problem. What started as one dark line widened over the years to a dark stripe. I have asked numerous MDs and alternative doctors what the stripe is and no one really knows. My mother has them on nearly every fingernail and she said that my grandmother had them, too. I'm still very curious about what they are. Oh, I also have them on several toenails. Very weird so I always wear polish.

HTH

Last edited by lu55; 02-24-2004 at 12:30 AM.

Old 02-24-2004, 05:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu55
I have a similar problem. What started as one dark line widened over the years to a dark stripe. I have asked numerous MDs and alternative doctors what the stripe is and no one really knows. My mother has them on nearly every fingernail and she said that my grandmother had them, too. I'm still very curious about what they are. Oh, I also have them on several toenails. Very weird so I always wear polish.

HTH

If the matrix fails to produce the correct amount of nail plate cells from the portion of the matrix that produces the cells that touch the nail bed, then the splinter hemorraghe will be a consistent problem. If there is a void in the cells that is a permanent condition, then the void will continually fill with blood from the nail bed. If the line is very thin and actually 'looks' like a splinter, then the condition is simply cosmetic.

If the line is dark and 'wide', then it could also be a nail mole that is growing in the matrix and you should see a dermatologist.

The Following User Says Thank You to Marti For This Useful Post:
marcnguyen (01-24-2012)
Old 02-24-2004, 02:00 PM   #6
(female)

lu55 HB User

Marti,

Thanks for your response. Yes, there are wide bands on my toenails but still stripes on my fingernails. By now my mother has wide bands on both finger and toenails.

Over the past decade, I've seen two dermatologists and neither knew what it was. Hummm...a nail mole--never heard of it. Is this a potentially serious problem or just cosmetic?

Old 02-25-2004, 04:54 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu55
Marti,

Thanks for your response. Yes, there are wide bands on my toenails but still stripes on my fingernails. By now my mother has wide bands on both finger and toenails.

Over the past decade, I've seen two dermatologists and neither knew what it was. Hummm...a nail mole--never heard of it. Is this a potentially serious problem or just cosmetic?
A nail mole can be a potentially serious problem - especially if it is malignant. If the wide bands run horizontal, rather than vertical, they could be Beau's Lines. If they are Beau's Lines, they are characteristic for African Americans and are generally inherited from what I can find out. Do a web search for Beau's lines.

Old 05-24-2004, 10:36 AM   #8

Zuki8 HB User

well, I have one streak on my thumbnail. I did a search on the web, and on a Canadian site I found something scary called Subungual Melanoma. It frequently presents as a pigmented streak in the nail. Nevi can also be present in the nail producing parallel streaks. Dark streaks in the nail, benign, are very common in darker skinned Caucasians including those of Indo-Pakistani decent, as well as Chinese and Japanese. Multiple pigmented streaks are generally not worrisome.
A single pigmented streak, particularly in a fair skinned individual, is of
concern. Atypical lesions grow more rapidly than benign nevi, and this is
evidenced by non-parallel sides to the pigmented streaks. The most proximal
area is wider than the most distal because the lesion has grown. In
addition, in dysplastic or malignant lesions the pigment can extend onto the
proximal nail fold, Hutchinson's sign. If these features are evident, the
nail must be removed and the nail matrix biopsied.
Now I have the single streak, which according to the website is more likely to be malignant. I just made an appointment today w/a dermatologist today to make sure that it is not an early warning sign of skin cancer.

Old 05-25-2004, 12:44 PM   #9
Veteran

abbygirl2 HB User

I just wanted to add to this to say that on occassion a splinter hemmorage can be a sign of a rare but serious heart infection called bacterial endocarditis. I am surprised that none of your Dr's ever thought of it. The moment I showed my Dr my fingernails she quickly ordered an echocardiogram to check my heart(as well as some other tests). All came back fine and of course we still don't know why I have them, my mother does too.

Take care,
Abby

Old 05-26-2004, 04:47 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

A splinter hemoraghe is the result of voids in the nail plate cell production. If the matrix fails to produce tightly packed cells, then the voids fill up with blood from the nail bed. This can be an ocassional problem, or a consistant problem depending on your genetics.

Old 06-21-2004, 03:43 AM   #11

JoWo HB User

I had a thin black line on my toe nail just recently. Being worried, I surfed the web to gather more information. Is it a signal of a malignant health problem as some of the websites have stated ? Those that have similar condition and had been to the doctors, please advise. Thanks.

Old 06-21-2004, 04:43 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoWo
I had a thin black line on my toe nail just recently. Being worried, I surfed the web to gather more information. Is it a signal of a malignant health problem as some of the websites have stated ? Those that have similar condition and had been to the doctors, please advise. Thanks.
It can signify a 'nail mole' growing in the matrix of the nail. The leading edge of the matrix can be seen as the white half-moon (the lunula) at the base of the nail plate. Most times, these are not malignant, but I would advise seeking the diagnosis of your physician.

Closed Thread