I finally found out what the fuss over Vicks Vapor Rub and toenail fungus was all about. Seems the Vicks contains Thymol, which is the key ingredient that will 'kill' a BACTERIAL infection of the finger and toenails. There is a BIG difference between a BACTERIAL and FUNGAL infection. A Bacterial infection will begin as a greensih discoloration in the nail plate - the discoloration is classic for pseudomonas bacterial infection and is composed mainly of iron compounds. The stain will grow out with the nail plate and does not normally cause the nail to separate from the nail bed unless it has invaded the space between the plate and the nail bed.
With a bacterial infection, there is no evident debris between the plate and the nail bed, but is characterized by a green to brown to black discoloration.
A yeast infection is characterized by a white discoloration to the nail plate, apparent lifting, but no debris in the area of lift.
A Fungal infection is characterized by a yellowish discoloraion in the nail plate, apparent thickening, apparent separation, nail plate crumbling and evident debris in the area of lift.
Thymol, or products containing thymol, can be successfully used to treat a Bacterial Nail infection such as Pseudomonas.
Thymol is also the active ingredient in mouthwash - specifically Listerine, as it is an antiseptic.
The definition of Thymol: thymol - a colorless crystalline solid used in perfume or preserving biological specimens or in embalming or medically as a fungicide or antiseptic.
I would think that purchasing Thymol to treat nail fungus would be better and work faster if it weren't in the petroleum based product Vicks Vapor Rub.
Seems we (nail technicians) have been using Thymol as part of our nail treatments for bacterial infections, but it says it MAY work on fungal infections as well. One drop of straight thymol in the area of lift twice a day.
Maybe you can help me. I read your post but I'm still unsure where my problem fits in. I think it .might. be a yeast infection.
The nail on my big toe looks flakey....as if I can peel off small layers. They are brittle as they grow out and end up breaking off fairly easy. Nail polish isn't adhering very well either.
What do you think?
If they are flaky and brittle, then it very well could be a fungus infection. A yeast infection doesn't make the nail plate crumble - fungus does. Fungus will also exhibit a yellowish discoloration to the nail plate where it is lifted.
Yeast, on the other hand, will not discolor the nail plate, it will only turn the smile line into a frown, but will remain quite even while it does this. Fungus will make the smile line look ragged.
If you suspect fungus, you can purchase Amoresse Thymol over the internet.