It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2004, 06:20 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Fireball76 HB User
Thick pinkie toe nail...

On one of my pinkie toes the nail is really thick and slightly yellow in color. Does any one know what the cause of this is. I don't think it was always this way, but it has been for years now. I usually trim it down in length and in thickness with toenail clippers. Is this a nail fungus? Thanks!

Old 03-14-2004, 09:30 PM   #2

Backsahurtin HB User
Re: Thick pinkie toe nail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball76
On one of my pinkie toes the nail is really thick and slightly yellow in color. Does any one know what the cause of this is. I don't think it was always this way, but it has been for years now. I usually trim it down in length and in thickness with toenail clippers. Is this a nail fungus? Thanks!
Hi Fireball76,

It's quite possible that is what it is. Mine are that way as well. I had the option of leaving it alone or having it removed. As my foot doc doesn't like removing the pinkie nails, we decided to leave it for now. If I notice it's getting worse, then we'll start a script to see if it helps. For now, since it doesn't hurt, just looks bad, I keep my nails painted. I had the same thing in both big toes and opted to have them removed since it caused them to keep getting ingrown and I couldn't stand that. Looks a bit odd sometimes running around in sandles but can be a real conversation starter. lol

You might want check with a foot doc for a dx though to be sure that is what it is.

Congrats on the new little one!

Last edited by Backsahurtin; 03-14-2004 at 09:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2004, 04:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
Yes, it is! Fungus will manifest itself with a yellowish discoloraiton in the nail plate as well as thickening of the plate - sometimes it will even crumble. You can get a prescription from your doctor for Lamasil or Sporanox.

Old 03-16-2004, 10:25 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Fireball76 HB User

Thanks! That's what I thought it was, but never went and had a doctor actually check it out. Now being pregnant I probably can't take those so I'll have to go after I deliver and see what they think. Thanks again!

Last edited by Fireball76; 03-16-2004 at 10:26 AM.

Old 03-16-2004, 08:58 PM   #5

Backsahurtin HB User

Quote:
Thanks! That's what I thought it was, but never went and had a doctor actually check it out. Now being pregnant I probably can't take those so I'll have to go after I deliver and see what they think. Thanks again!
Hi again,

You might want to ask your OB doc if you could take anything for it during the pregnancy.

Good luck!

Old 03-17-2004, 04:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

I seriously doubt if the DR will allow you to take anything while you're pregnant - especially this type of medication. He might prescribe Penlac for you since that is a 'paint-on' type of medication that you apply much like nail polish. You can also look on-line for Dr. G's Clear Nail. It is a liquid that you apply by the drop to the effected area, so it is a topical treatment as well.

Closed Thread