It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2004, 05:14 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
How do I promote nail growth/strength?

I've been trying to grow my nails out since the fourth grade, but I can't. I get them to grow so nicely and they just rip and I have to cut them so they grow even again. Since I got this neat manicure kit thing, I've been growing my nails really long and then using the sanding tool to sharpen them to a very sharp point, but they break nonetheless.

I heard that drinking lots of water helps make nails grow long and strong, but it didn't seem to work too well. Any suggestions besides getting fake ones put on? (Knowing me, I'd forget they were fake and cut them XD)

Dark Stranger

Old 03-18-2004, 04:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: How do I promote nail growth/strength?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Stranger
I've been trying to grow my nails out since the fourth grade, but I can't. I get them to grow so nicely and they just rip and I have to cut them so they grow even again. Since I got this neat manicure kit thing, I've been growing my nails really long and then using the sanding tool to sharpen them to a very sharp point, but they break nonetheless.

I heard that drinking lots of water helps make nails grow long and strong, but it didn't seem to work too well. Any suggestions besides getting fake ones put on? (Knowing me, I'd forget they were fake and cut them XD)

Dark Stranger
Your nail growth and strength are genetic. If your parents have thin, weak nails, so will you. The nail plate cells are 'born' in the matrix. The longer tha matrix, the more cells it can produce, therefore, the thicker and stronger the nail plate. If you can see the white half-moon at the base of your nails, and it is long, then your nails will grow thicker. If you cannot see it, or it is very short, then your nails will be thinner. Nothing can change this!

Eating a healthy diet and drinking plenty of water is good for ones entire body, not just the nails. Doing this will keep the nails healthy, but will not promote growth or thickness.

Filing yoru nails to a point only weakens them more. The reason is because you are filing away the portion of nail that is needed to keep the nail balanced and supported - the sidewalls. Filing away the sides to form a pointy shape allows for more breakage. This is one reason why nail technicians file peoples nails in a square, squoval or gentle oval shape - it leaves the nail plate with the most support as it grows forward from the free edge.

If you want long, strong nails, change the way you are filing the shape to a more gentle shape that doesn't remove so much of the sidewall. Apply a good quality nail and cuticle oil that helps preserve the flexibility of the nail plate and moisturizes the nail plate cells, such as Botanical Oil or Solar Oil. Solar Oil is available in fine nail salons or through Ulta Cosmetic outlets nationwide. Botanical Oil is available in the nail department of Sally Beauty Supply nationwide.

For more information on your natural nails, please visit my (approved by Mderator 1) website: [url]www.hooked-on-nails.com[/url]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2004, 02:49 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

I kind of forgot to add this...when I filed my nails down as I'd described, they actually lasted longer than when I let them grow normally or try to file them normally. But the nails will break the same either way...I put my hand in my pocket too harshly and the cuticle will bend upward and I'll have to cut it, or if I don't have a nail cutter handy, I use other fingers or teeth, which I know isn't too good.

Something I don't understand is that while I have weak, brittle nails, my grandmother has what I like to call "talons"; her nails are about an inch long and stiff as boards. When she cuts them, you really hear a CLICK! And they grow so fast too. I'm jealous (I told her that too). I don't know about my mom's nails...I think they're just normal. But thanks for the help.

Dark Stranger

Old 03-19-2004, 03:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Stranger
I kind of forgot to add this...when I filed my nails down as I'd described, they actually lasted longer than when I let them grow normally or try to file them normally. But the nails will break the same either way...I put my hand in my pocket too harshly and the cuticle will bend upward and I'll have to cut it, or if I don't have a nail cutter handy, I use other fingers or teeth, which I know isn't too good.

Something I don't understand is that while I have weak, brittle nails, my grandmother has what I like to call "talons"; her nails are about an inch long and stiff as boards. When she cuts them, you really hear a CLICK! And they grow so fast too. I'm jealous (I told her that too). I don't know about my mom's nails...I think they're just normal. But thanks for the help.

Dark Stranger
Your grandmmothers nails look like this due to age. As we age, the nail plate changes; sometimes it will thicken and dry out to be very hard, though sometimes they become even more weak and brittle.

Try one of the oils I suggested - I think it will help keep your nails more flexible so they do not break as easily. What they do is 'toughen' the nails by adding much needed oils and moisture and will 'plump up' the nail plate cells.

Old 03-31-2004, 04:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

VegasGirl HB User

I always had bad nails, but then I started using Sally Hansen's MAXIMUM GROWTH and it works great. You put on two coats, then add one coat per day for five days, then take it off and start over. Keeps them healthy, strong, and helps them grow. And it makes them nice and shiny. It's all I use since I don't have the patience for polish, it chips too fast. LOL!

Old 04-15-2004, 06:11 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

I use nail-tek, I think it is wonderful and filing them straight across is the right idea.
They don't tend to break so easy if at all. Nail Tek can be found on the internet for about $7.00, $19.00 in a store if they carry it. They have a lot of things you can buy, but I just bought the the teck one and put one coat on and a polish and a coat over the polish or just use the clear tek as a polish. It keeps my polish on also and my nails are like rocks, they never were before, my right hand always broke even typing.
It may be a good try for ya...Good luck.

Old 05-11-2004, 09:59 AM   #7
(female)

Tzu HB User

I have pretty strong nails on the whole ... but recently allowed some stupid nail techinician to repair three broken nails and he used the electric drill to file of the top layer off ... consequently now that the repair stuff is off as the nail had grown sufficiently ... I am left with extremly flimsy nails that will have to grow out the whole length of my nail bed to get rid of the damage he did

However I have always found that calcium tablets do help strengthen my nails and when I miss for a few days they start showing weakness. So worth trying.

Closed Thread