It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2004, 10:25 AM   #1

KristieS HB User
HELP!! middle of my finger nail has stopped growing

undefined
Need help FAST! About 3 wks ago, I noticed a hole in the center of my finger nail (where the new part grows out). I went to a family doc. He said usually caused by injury to nail bed. To my knowledge...I didn't injure nail bed. He put me on Cephalexin 500 mg cap, 3 x a day for 7 days & Naftin gel to rub on finger nail, in case it was infected...suppose to go back in a couple of wks. **Also, I informed him I had Rosacea & took Minocycline. He said sometimes...that could cause fingernail problems...but didn't make your nail stopped growing. Also, I'm 34 and bite my fingernails. Had a baby 5 mos ago. Very bad habit! Could this be a vitamin defiency? I haven't been taking any vitamins, but started...since nail problem. Also, have stopped taking
Minocycline for now to see if nail grows back. Getting worried....has only happened to 1 nail (no fingernail growing back in sight) trying to keep a bandaid on it..so it doesn't get snagged on something & rip the rest of my finger nail off.. Will it ever grow back & why has this happened??? Can anyone HELP ME!!!!!PLEASE??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2004, 04:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: HELP!! middle of my finger nail has stopped growing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristieS
undefined
Need help FAST! About 3 wks ago, I noticed a hole in the center of my finger nail (where the new part grows out). I went to a family doc. He said usually caused by injury to nail bed. To my knowledge...I didn't injure nail bed. He put me on Cephalexin 500 mg cap, 3 x a day for 7 days & Naftin gel to rub on finger nail, in case it was infected...suppose to go back in a couple of wks. **Also, I informed him I had Rosacea & took Minocycline. He said sometimes...that could cause fingernail problems...but didn't make your nail stopped growing. Also, I'm 34 and bite my fingernails. Had a baby 5 mos ago. Very bad habit! Could this be a vitamin defiency? I haven't been taking any vitamins, but started...since nail problem. Also, have stopped taking
Minocycline for now to see if nail grows back. Getting worried....has only happened to 1 nail (no fingernail growing back in sight) trying to keep a bandaid on it..so it doesn't get snagged on something & rip the rest of my finger nail off.. Will it ever grow back & why has this happened??? Can anyone HELP ME!!!!!PLEASE??
Get that bandaid OFF right away. The last thing you need is to build up moisture in the nail bed by keeping it covered. Fungal or bacterial spores LOVE all the extra moisture and can set up housekeeping even when you are taking or using any type of medication.

Since you already said you bite your nails, this can help to deposit bacteria into the area of damage and make it worse. I agree with your Doctor - a hole in the nail plate can be caused by trauma from the biting, or from some other sourse. It can also be caused by voids in the nail cell production in the matrix where the nail plate cells form. If you have to, get one of those plastic splints from the drug store and wear it on that finger to help you keep it out of your mouth and away from any sources of possible bacterial
contamination. Naftin is very good at killing bacterial and yeast spores that effect the nails. You are doing the right thing in following your doctors prescription.

As for the nail cell production (not growing) - take some vitamin B comples as this contains biotin which is very good at aiding cell production in the nail plae. One a day ought to do it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2004, 09:16 PM   #3

KristieS HB User
Question Re: HELP!! middle of my finger nail has stopped growing

Hi, thanks for your reply. More questions. I don't remember injury to my finger. I have not biten this fingernail at all, since I seen the hole forming & the fingernail quit growing. Still using the Naftin. Quit using bandaids. My face was breaking out, started using the Minocycline again. I have an Appt to see my Derm...but 3 wks away. Started taking Vitamin B Complex. The hole in my fingernail (or where the nail has quit growing) is about 1/2", now.

When I 1st went to the Dr., the skin @ the top of my nail was slightly red & hurt a little. Would this have been a sign of infection? (no longer red or hurts)

You said, could be voids in nail cell production in the matrix where the nail plate cells form. Is there something in particular that causes this? So far, my other fingernails are fine....If there is a void in the nail cell prod...does it usually happen in 1 finger or more?

Also, I don't know if this is anything....but underneath the nail, I can see this little dark line...its about a 1/4" long. Is this anything?
Thanks,
Kristie

Old 04-13-2004, 06:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
Hi, thanks for your reply. More questions. I don't remember injury to my finger. I have not biten this fingernail at all, since I seen the hole forming & the fingernail quit growing. Still using the Naftin. Quit using bandaids. My face was breaking out, started using the Minocycline again. I have an Appt to see my Derm...but 3 wks away. Started taking Vitamin B Complex. The hole in my fingernail (or where the nail has quit growing) is about 1/2", now.

When I 1st went to the Dr., the skin @ the top of my nail was slightly red & hurt a little. Would this have been a sign of infection? (no longer red or hurts)

You said, could be voids in nail cell production in the matrix where the nail plate cells form. Is there something in particular that causes this? So far, my other fingernails are fine....If there is a void in the nail cell prod...does it usually happen in 1 finger or more?

Also, I don't know if this is anything....but underneath the nail, I can see this little dark line...its about a 1/4" long. Is this anything?
Thanks,
Kristie
Is the little dark line running from the cuticle area toward the free edge? If so, this changes everything - if so, it sounds like you may have developed a 'nail mole' in the matrix, which could also halt nail cell production.

Old 04-13-2004, 02:33 PM   #5

KristieS HB User

Yes, the little dark line runs from underneath the cuticle area. It is in the corner of the nail. You said this changes everything...can you elaborate on that? And also the "nail mole".
Thanks!!!

Old 04-14-2004, 05:55 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Yes, the little dark line runs from underneath the cuticle area. It is in the corner of the nail. You said this changes everything...can you elaborate on that? And also the "nail mole".
Thanks!!!
When there is an evident dark line running from underneath the eponychium from the cuticle area down toward the free edge, this is characteristic of a 'nail mole' growing in the matrix. Longitudinal melanonychia is the presence of a pigmented stripe, usually brown or black, along the length of the nail bed in darker-skinned individuals. Longitudinal melanonychia results from deposition of melanin in the nail plate from a variety of causes. A small number of people with longitudinal melanonychia have subungual melanoma.

Subungual melanoma is a specific type of melanoma that occurs under the nail bed more commonly in dark-skinned people. Subungual melanoma is characterized by a dark colored stripe that runs along the length of the nail plate, not across the nail. The mere presence of a dark nail stripe is not necessarily melanoma. Signs that are concerning for subungual melanoma and should be evaluated by a health care provider include:
Hutchinson's Sign - Spread of pigmentation into the nail folds
Pigmentation in a single digit
Occurs at age 50 or older
Occurs in the thumb, index finger, or great toe
Blurred borders
History of malignant melanoma

Click on the link to my website below and scroll down to the photograph of 'melanonychia' to see if your nail looks anything like this one:
[url]http://www.hooked-on-nails.com/naildisorders.html[/url] (link approved by Moderator 1)

Old 04-14-2004, 08:47 AM   #7

KristieS HB User

Actually, the line that us under my fingernail looks nothing like the thick line in the photograph. Mine is a thin...like the thickness of a hair. Do you think this is still a nail mole? Also, I'm white...w/very fair skin. I also clicked on the DermNet. Pretty gross pics...didn't see anything that looks like my fingernail. The one that is messed up, is my middle finger.

Thanks for all your help...This is a GREAT Website!!
Kristie

Old 04-14-2004, 01:52 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Actually, the line that us under my fingernail looks nothing like the thick line in the photograph. Mine is a thin...like the thickness of a hair. Do you think this is still a nail mole? Also, I'm white...w/very fair skin. I also clicked on the DermNet. Pretty gross pics...didn't see anything that looks like my fingernail. The one that is messed up, is my middle finger.

Kristie
DOes the line run in the same direction as the one in the photograph? Doesn't matter if it is that wide or not - it could still be a nail mole. White, or a person of color, makes no difference if the nail mole/line developed due to trauma. I would still ask your doctor next visit.

A tiny, thin line that looks kind of like a splinter, but doesn't run the full length of the nail is called a splinter hemorraghe (sp?) - it doesn't sound like what you have sine this doesn't cause a "hole" in the nail plate.

Old 04-14-2004, 01:57 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:

Kristie
Does the line run in the same direction as the one in the photograph? Doesn't matter if it is that wide or not - it could still be a nail mole. White, or a person of color, makes no difference if the nail mole/line developed due to trauma. I would still ask your doctor next visit. There is no disease known to mankind that is strictly a "one race" thing. Melanonychia isn't 'race' specific - it only says it is "more common" in dark-skinned races. If it were my nail, I would be concerned. ANY change in the nail plate is cause for concern since the nail plate will usually 'show' signs of an internal illness before the patient even feels sick.

A tiny, thin line that looks kind of like a splinter, but doesn't run the full length of the nail is called a splinter hemorraghe (sp?) - it doesn't sound like what you have since this doesn't cause a "hole" in the nail plate.

Old 04-15-2004, 01:38 PM   #10

KristieS HB User

Hi, the line doesn't look like the photo. It doesn't run the full length of the nail. It is short very thin line that, looks more like a splinter. (It does run the length of the nail.) I have an appt w/Derm...May 5.

Thanks,
Kristie

Old 04-16-2004, 05:52 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Hi, the line doesn't look like the photo. It doesn't run the full length of the nail. It is short very thin line that, looks more like a splinter. (It does run the length of the nail.) I have an appt w/Derm...May 5.

Thanks,
Kristie
Then it is probably just a splinter hemoraghe, which is nothing to worry about. This results from a void in the nail cells that fill up with blood and look just like a splinter. It will grow out with the nail plate.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:14 PM   #12
(male)

GoLowGolfer HB User

KristiS,

I have exactly the same condition with the thin line in the middle of my left thumb. I have the condition for at least 5 years and it has not changed at all. My nail grows fine. I have never though to ask my doctor about it until I heard about a new discovery today, and did a search and found your post here. Then I registered so I could post a reply.

I am 49 yrs old, male, have several chronic conditions including a high stress job.

MikeC "GoLoGolfer"

Old 01-29-2005, 03:47 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:

Thanks,
Kristie
That's exactly what you do have, a splinter hemorrage. these will randomly occur from time to time in some individuals and are usually caused by a void in the nail plate cell production. the deepest part of the root, or the matrix, produces the cells that touch the nail bed. If there are cells that are missing, the void will fill up with blood from the underlying tissue and will look like a splinter. They are usually nothing to worry about and it will grow out with the nail plate; however, if you are concerned, by all means see your physician.

Old 02-21-2005, 11:57 AM   #14

KristieS HB User
Smile Re: HELP!! middle of my finger nail has stopped growing

Hi, I sent a post back in April 2004...about my fingernail...stopped growing & a line that looked like a splinter. I was worried about an underlining medical condition that maybe I had. Anyways, went to the doctor & received your replies. I actually learned more about nail plates & all that from your responses. At the end of last summer, my fingernail finally grew back. The thin line went away on my fingernail, but now on one of my toenails I have a line that looks like a splinter...been there for several months.
I just wanted to thank you for your replies. Thanks, Kristie

Old 06-26-2005, 10:46 AM   #15
(male)

Ozric HB User

Hi Kristie, I have had similar problems and have also been on minocycline, I was wondering if you stopped taking it or are still on it. Please email me, if you would like to discuss this. Thanks.

[ please carefully review the posting rules - no emails ]

[ Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted. The boards are to be used for on board sharing, only. The email and private message features are turned off so that use of the message boards remain anonymous. The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board. ]

Last edited by moderator2; 06-26-2005 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Please read the posting rules

Closed Thread