It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2004, 07:43 PM   #1

ButterflyGirl22 HB User
2 Questions: Vicks for nail fungus / Horizontal ridges

My first question is about using Vicks VapoRub for nail fungus. I saw a doctor awhile ago, not a podiatrist but my regular doctor, and asked what was wrong with my toenail. It looked like at some point I hit my toenail on something, but don't remember ever hurting it, and my nail was thicker and a little yellow in areas. I was told it was nail fungus, onychomycosis, and I was given a prescription for Lamisil. I haven't started taking it yet because I currently don't have health insurance. I had read on these boards about people trying Vicks for nail fungus, so I started using it twice a day. I've been doing this for two months and hardly notice a difference. How long should it take before I see a change? Will there be a definite change, like a nice, healthy nail growing in and the bad part eventually growing out? That doesn't appear to be happening. I know toenails grow very slowly. It would be nice if the Vicks does end up working so I won't have to bother taking the Lamisil. I was told blood tests would be needed and it has to be taken for three months. My toenail seems to not be as thick anymore, but seems MORE yellow. Any advice?

My other question is about horizontal ridges in my toenail, a different nail. I have two of them in the same nail and they are not dark lines, but it's like in those two areas my nail is raised up slightly and then goes back down. Does anyone know what this is?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2004, 04:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: 2 Questions: Vicks for nail fungus / Horizontal ridges

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyGirl22
My first question is about using Vicks VapoRub for nail fungus. I saw a doctor awhile ago, not a podiatrist but my regular doctor, and asked what was wrong with my toenail. It looked like at some point I hit my toenail on something, but don't remember ever hurting it, and my nail was thicker and a little yellow in areas. I was told it was nail fungus, onychomycosis, and I was given a prescription for Lamisil. I haven't started taking it yet because I currently don't have health insurance. I had read on these boards about people trying Vicks for nail fungus, so I started using it twice a day. I've been doing this for two months and hardly notice a difference. How long should it take before I see a change? Will there be a definite change, like a nice, healthy nail growing in and the bad part eventually growing out? That doesn't appear to be happening. I know toenails grow very slowly. It would be nice if the Vicks does end up working so I won't have to bother taking the Lamisil. I was told blood tests would be needed and it has to be taken for three months. My toenail seems to not be as thick anymore, but seems MORE yellow. Any advice?

My other question is about horizontal ridges in my toenail, a different nail. I have two of them in the same nail and they are not dark lines, but it's like in those two areas my nail is raised up slightly and then goes back down. Does anyone know what this is?

Thanks!
Vicks Vapor Rub will work on most nail infections because of the THYMOL it contains. It doesn't work as efficiently for a true fungus as it does for bacterial or yeast infection of the nail plate. Thymol will work more efficiently if it is in more concentrated forms. You can purchase Amoresse Thymol over the internet - just type those words into your web browser.

Lamasil works for about half (or less) of the patients taking it, and the side effects may not be worth it for you.

Also, fungal spores can live in the leather of your shoes, so be sure not to wear the same pair every day - give them time to dry out real well between wearings - remember, fungal spores LOVE a moist environment, and our feet (and shoes) are very moist.

Old 04-05-2004, 08:25 PM   #3

ButterflyGirl22 HB User

Thanks for your response! I have been wondering if the Vicks itself has actually been keeping my toenail too moist. I will look into the concentrated Thymol. Thanks for the info. I've been nervous about trying Lamisil because I heard it can cause liver damage and if the chances of it working are so low, it's not worth the risk to me. I usually don't tolerate medicines well anyway. Thanks again!

Old 04-08-2004, 06:05 AM   #4
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Trouble with any topical meds (and that includes brush on Lamisil, miconozole, clotrimazole or Vicks) is that the nail is resistant to penetration. Thus the fungus merrily goes on it's way chewing up the nail inside its igloo of protection. If the fungus is in the nail bed inside the toe then the chance of penetration is reduced to ZERO.

Oral Lamisil works very well but is hideously expensive. I think the side efffects are very real but overblown. A trial with any topical (including Vicks) is of course very cheap and safe but don't be surprised with no benefit.

Last edited by zip2play; 04-08-2004 at 06:11 AM.

Old 04-08-2004, 06:52 PM   #5
Inactive

Lizzi HB User

Your Nail fungus is an internal problem...& it probably will take the Lamisil to try to cure it...because it's a problem starting on the inside..comming out in the nails..& possibly/probably...will spread to more nails...the Lamisil is very expensive..but may be worth saving up for...something else...you may try...is soaking it in vinigar...I was taught in Nail school that soaking in vinigar...& spraying your carpets & shoes with a vinigar solution is supposed to help this...also is supposed to help athletes foot..but..can't say that I know from experience...
Good Luck...
Lizzi...

Old 04-10-2004, 12:54 AM   #6

lil'momma HB User

Butterfly Girl, I was just wondering why you have to have blood test taken?

Old 04-11-2004, 12:03 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzi
Your Nail fungus is an internal problem...& it probably will take the Lamisil to try to cure it...because it's a problem starting on the inside..comming out in the nails..& possibly/probably...will spread to more nails...the Lamisil is very expensive..but may be worth saving up for...something else...you may try...is soaking it in vinigar...I was taught in Nail school that soaking in vinigar...& spraying your carpets & shoes with a vinigar solution is supposed to help this...also is supposed to help athletes foot..but..can't say that I know from experience...
Good Luck...
Lizzi...
Vinegar and Bleach are NOT a cure for fungus. Yes, Lamasil works, but not for everyone. Thymol will work, but then not for everyone either.

What causes the fungus in the first place is going barefoot a lot - especially in the grass, dirt, sand, etc. Fungal spores (as well as pseudomonas bacteria) live in these 'wet' environments and can easily enter the space between the nail bed and the nail plate if there is even the tiniest cut, tear or break in the 'seal' surrounding the nail unit.

One can still use topical types of treatment such as vicks, thymol or Tea Tree Oil, if they are to be SURE to get it into the lifted space between the nail plate and the nail bed. My friend Dottie uses tea tree oil and inserts the oik into the area of lift by using an old hypodermic needle that she cut off with a pair of wire cutters. She applies a drop in the morning and at night in this manner, and it is greatly helping her toenails.

Old 04-12-2004, 09:53 PM   #8

ButterflyGirl22 HB User

Thanks again to all who responded. I really appreciate all the advice. I got my prescription for Lamasil quite awhile ago, but just never started taking it because I moved and no longer have health insurance. I believe it has to be taken for three months and I only have one month's supply. Without insurance, it is way too expensive, so I've been putting it off until I can get health insurance again once I find a full time job. The reason for the blood tests is that Lamasil can be hard on your liver, if I remember correctly. It just has to be monitored. I'm afraid to take something that can do damage to my liver (I don't know the chances of that, but needing a blood test makes it seem a little scary.), especially if I'd be taking the medicine for something that isn't urgent. I was told by my previous doctor that nothing NEEDS to be done for my toenail and it would be more of a cosmetic thing, but then I've read that the nail can possibly fall off if it gets really bad??? I don't know, but I'd like to try all other options before trying oral Lamasil. I was also told by my doctor that topicals, like over the counter ones at a drug store, wouldn't work.

Has anyone heard about Listerine mouthwash being a cure? I got an e-mail forward from a friend once with little tips and that was one of them. Has anyone tried this? Maybe soaking your feet in the mouthwash? Sounds weird.

I used to live in a dry, desert area so I definitely wasn't in a wet environment, but I did wear sandals a lot, no socks, and go barefoot in the house. I think I might have hit my toe or something, but don't remember doing it, and just noticed my nail looking weird one day.

Are these types of topical treatments, like the thymol, something that can possibly "cure" the problem, or do they have to be applied practically forever as an ongoing treatment? I know the fungus can always come back and the topicals may not necessarily work, but I'm just curious. Thanks!

Oh, does anyone happen to know the answer to my second original question, about horizontal ridges in a toenail? What could this mean?

Old 04-13-2004, 04:16 AM   #9
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Butterfly Girl,
Only an oral will permanently cure an infection that extends back to the base of the nail. Choices are basically Lamisil, Sporonox, griseofulvin (cheaper, maybe 50% shot at cure and usually taken for a year.)

PLEASE don't take the Lamisil for only a month. You will risk the side-effects with really no chance of a cure.

My friend took 95 days of Lamisil and cured a 40 year infected nail. He had no side effects.

Personally, I think these infections involve much more than exposure to the spores and that the immune system plays a HUGE role. I seem immune with nearly my whole life being around people with rotten toenails (My sister had 9 nail beds removed (she paints her TOES instead.
My nails scoff at the fungus BUT I can get Jock Rash in the flash of an eye and have been battling a mild case of Athlete's foot since college (Thomas Jefferson was president at the time)....I use miconozole liquid EVERY day to keep it at bay and have used the ENTIRE arsenal of legitimate antifungals as well as that includes Clorox, tea tree oil (nice for polishing furniture), vinegar, and perhaps the BEST but no longer available: Castellani's Paint! If I stop treating for 3 days: BOOM!

Old 04-13-2004, 11:31 PM   #10

ButterflyGirl22 HB User

What I'm worried about with the oral Lamasil is side effects, possible liver damage. Although it may be rare, it still scares me. I'm very sensitive to medications and seem to always get the side effects or I end up being allergic. Hopefully that won't be the case with this. My plan is to try some topicals until I get health insurance and if my nail isn't better by then, I will try the oral Lamasil.

I will not try the Lamasil for just one month. I would take the full three months' dose, or however long it is. I have a month's dose of it because I had insurance at the time and expected to get insurance by now, but haven't been able to get it. So although I have a month's worth, I'm just holding onto it (hopefully it won't expire) until I can afford the full dose and doctor appointments for the blood tests.

Old 04-15-2004, 06:01 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

Butterfly,
Toe fungus is a pain in the neck to get rid of. Most times you don't know till you had it for a long time. I have a read a lot of articles about this and why but I just want to say this.
Taking your meds for one month won't help at all. Most times they take a very long time to get rid of a fungus anyway.
What people wre saying about tea tree oil and vicks is exactly what my podiatrist told me to do. But as someone stated above, you need to get under the nail, clean it out, get all the fungus out and then wipe the tool with clorox so you don't spread it to other toes. I cut half of my big toe nail off, as it was all fungus underneath anyway. I use a q tip and put the oil on and then I use one to put vicks on every morning, every night. Just be consistant with this and it helps a great deal. But I do it as I can't afford to have liver damage, well no one can, but I can't take the meds for fungus on toes. I watch my sugar intake also as I do believe it starts inside and just go to the vunerable place, toes, groin, sinus.
Being you don't have insurance, this is cheap and both are found easily.
But it is going to take a long long time so just accept it, even with meds it takes a long time. Wish you luck with this.

Old 08-30-2004, 04:53 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzi
Good Luck...
Lizzi...
Vinegar is not a cure for nail fungus, all it does is help to balance the pH of the skin in the infected area, but does nothing to help kill the fungal spores.

The only thing that will actually "kill" the spores is the Lamasil, but it can take up to 6 months to do so. You are on the Lamasil for 3 months, off for 3 months, then back on for 3 months.

The Thymol has been proven to work on nail fungus. It is a liquid that can easily be applied to the skin (where the infection actually 'lives') by inserting it into the area of lift (separation). It will work, but can take from 6-12 months. The fungal spores live deep into the nail bed tissues, so it takes a long time to get rid of them.

We all forgot to address her question on the horizontal ridges in the other toenail. What you are seeing are the rails and grooves upon which the nail plate rides forward on the nail bed. The rodges are part of the nail bed, and the grooves are on the underside of the nail plate. One usually sees these ridges if the nail plate is dry, or from aging. If they are on the big toenail, they can be buffed with a soft buffing block to reduce them to the same level as the rest of the nail plate.

Old 09-06-2004, 01:13 PM   #13

speedyT HB User

Your horizontal ridges just sound like you stubbed it funny, dropped something on it, or changed your diet in the past three months.

I read of a legitamate study conducted in 1998 that involved a bit of tea tree oil in a cream with butenafine HCL (Mentax) and also sold as Lotrimin Ultra now. The process was a double blind study that involved a control group using only a tea tree oil in a cream. The active group used a mix of Tea tree oil and the butenafine (2%, and you can only buy 1% otc) three times daily then covered it with a plastic protectant.

At the end of several months (2 of active treatment i think but i'm going to try it for three or more), they concluded that the mix yielded an 80% cure rate and at least some improvement in the others, the control group saw 0% difference. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this and if it works for them. I have just picked up the ingredients today and I was hoping I could find out if it's worth it.

Oral drugs are very expensive esp. if your insurance won't cover it and you can't drink alcohol while on them, which would suck for me since my wedding is coming up in a few months. But I want beautiful nails for that day AND I want some champagne!

I hear wonder stories of how great tea tree oil is since it is described as a deeply penetrating antifungal/antiseptic for the skin and nails , i'm hoping that it can pull down some butenafine HCL with it. I'd love to hear some other's input.

Thanks!
SpeedyT

Old 09-24-2004, 09:46 PM   #14

ButterflyGirl22 HB User

I have GOOD NEWS! I have been using Amoresse Thymol on my toenail that had the fungus problem and after about four months (maybe six if I include when I used Vick's before starting the Thymol) my nail is back to normal! It has stayed "normal" looking for the past month and I'm hoping it stays this way. I slowly stopped using the Thymol last month. I was using it twice a day, in the morning and at night, but there were times I used it just once a day or skipped a day here or there because I forgot. I am VERY happy that this has worked for me. I definitely recommend it! (Thanks Marti for telling me about it!)

The horizontal ridges are still on both of my big toenails. They are currently in the middle of both toenails and they are growing out with my nails, but more ridges seem to come back as my nails grow. One toenail had two ridges at one time, while the other had just one. Since I don't know what is causing this and can't think of any major changes in my diet in the past few months, all I can do is keep checking to see if they ever go away completely and don't come back. I will eventually end up asking a doctor about it. Thanks to everyone who has replied!

Old 09-26-2004, 10:16 PM   #15
(male)

Bob Brown HB User

Thanks for sharing, I've been living with this condition for about four years now. Like you, I was percribed Lamisil but I decided not to go for it. I am extremely sensitive to medications and the thought of going for liver tests freaked me out. I have tried various products from the net and some have helped but nothing near a healthy pink state. I will look into Thymol , thanks!

Closed Thread