It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2004, 01:02 PM   #1

deacon HB User
Red face dark vertical lines in nail

i have these dark vertical lines growing down the length of my nail. i have a wide stripe them on my left thumb (very faint but still noticeable) and a thin stripe on my right thumb, a thin dark line on my right index (very dark) and a wide (very dark) stripe on my right middle finger. can anyone tell me what this is? it doesn't hurt, it's more of a nuisance than anything. i've been told that the lines were caused by pigmentation "leaking" into the nail bed, that i was iron deficient, that a multi-vitamin should clear it up, that i should get it biopsied, etc. i don't think this is "splinter hemorrahge" because it's not a horizon dark line caused by dried blood or the nail growing improperly. i definitely know it's not dried blood because it grows as my nail grows. neither my doctor nor dermatologist seems to know what it is. can anyone provide any insights!? thanks!

Old 04-20-2004, 04:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: dark vertical lines in nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon
i have these dark vertical lines growing down the length of my nail. i have a wide stripe them on my left thumb (very faint but still noticeable) and a thin stripe on my right thumb, a thin dark line on my right index (very dark) and a wide (very dark) stripe on my right middle finger. can anyone tell me what this is? it doesn't hurt, it's more of a nuisance than anything. i've been told that the lines were caused by pigmentation "leaking" into the nail bed, that i was iron deficient, that a multi-vitamin should clear it up, that i should get it biopsied, etc. i don't think this is "splinter hemorrahge" because it's not a horizon dark line caused by dried blood or the nail growing improperly. i definitely know it's not dried blood because it grows as my nail grows. neither my doctor nor dermatologist seems to know what it is. can anyone provide any insights!? thanks!
Splinter hemorraghe is caused by voids in the nail cell production which fill up with blood from the nail bed. They do not run the entire length of the nail plate, but will grow forward with the nail plate until they grow off with the free edge.

Melanonychia are vertical pigmented bands, often described as nail 'moles', which usually form in the nail matrix. Seek a physicians care should you suddenly see this change in the nail plate. It could signify a malignant melanoma or lesion. Dark streaks may be a normal occurrence in dark-skinned individuals, and are fairly common.

There is a photograph of this on my website: [url]http://www.hooked-on-nails.com/naildisorders.html[/url]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2004, 06:09 AM   #3

deacon HB User
Talking Re: dark vertical lines in nail

marti,

thank you so much for your help! it is so great to finally get a definitive answer to this issue, even a name for this condition! thank you so much! i greatly appreciate your help!

Closed Thread