It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Nail Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2004, 04:37 PM   #1
(male)

ACfly HB User
Unhappy Damaged my tumbnail and root - will my nail ever grow back?

Help:

I had a ice fishing accident, and broke my thumb.. In the process, I damaged my nail root so much to the extent that I have a deep ridge where the root of my nail growth...

Now there is a big ridge.. and I'm afraid my nail is now gone..

If the root is compeltely wiped out, will I not have nails growing? What do I do?

I'm seeing my docotr and he has made no comments as of yet.. Appreciate your help

Old 04-27-2004, 04:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User
Re: Damaged my tumbnail and root - will my nail ever grow back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfly
Help:

I had a ice fishing accident, and broke my thumb.. In the process, I damaged my nail root so much to the extent that I have a deep ridge where the root of my nail growth...

Now there is a big ridge.. and I'm afraid my nail is now gone..

If the root is compeltely wiped out, will I not have nails growing? What do I do?

I'm seeing my docotr and he has made no comments as of yet.. Appreciate your help
You probably just damaged the leading edge of the matrix which can be seen as the white half-moon at the base of the nail. In order to damage the 'root', you would have had to cut deeply into the flesh about 1/4" behind the cuticle, or had the nail ripped completely off with a lot of damage between the cuticle and the knuckle. The 'root' lies much deeper than one may think.

The matrix is comprised of three main sections that produce the nail plate cells. The part that lies deepest (the root) produces the cells that become the portion of nail plate that is the surface. The portion you can see as the white half-moon produce the portion of nail that touches the nail bed. When this portion is damaged, it can produce scar tissue on the nail bed which can result in a ridge on the surface of the nail plate. Depending on the extent of the matrix damage, you may end up with a permanent ridge in that area; however, it will reduce somewhat in height as the nail bed heals. Your nail will continue to grow unless you have the nail root surgically removed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2004, 06:35 PM   #3
(male)

ACfly HB User

Thanks Marti,

Your comments are most valuable...

I was just wondering what happens if the root is completely damaged? Will there be no nails then? What does the finger look like then? without nails?

Old 04-28-2004, 04:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB UserMarti HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfly
Thanks Marti,

Your comments are most valuable...

I was just wondering what happens if the root is completely damaged? Will there be no nails then? What does the finger look like then? without nails?
If the root is completely damaged, it can still produce some cells (that is unless it is ripped out such as they do when they remove a cats claws). Those cells would only produce something that looked and felt like ahrd skin in place of the nail plate, so the finger tip would end up looking like the pad of the finger.

Old 03-18-2005, 02:45 AM   #5
(female)

Aprilly HB User

Hi,

I also damaged thumbnail and root ( probably) and now 4 months passed since it stopped growing

I went to doctor and he told me that my nail is " fainted ". He just gave me some antimicotic cream and antibiotics, to prevent infection. He didn't tell me anything more. I'm afraid maybe my nail root is damaged so much that it won't start growing again.

Does anyone know how long can nail remain in " fainted" state ?
There are also slightly red swellings, a bit painful in the area of nail fold.
Can x-rays show how much nail matrix is damaged ?

Old 03-18-2005, 04:55 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilly
Hi,

I also damaged thumbnail and root ( probably) and now 4 months passed since it stopped growing

I went to doctor and he told me that my nail is " fainted ". He just gave me some antimicotic cream and antibiotics, to prevent infection. He didn't tell me anything more. I'm afraid maybe my nail root is damaged so much that it won't start growing again.

Does anyone know how long can nail remain in " fainted" state ?
There are also slightly red swellings, a bit painful in the area of nail fold.
Can x-rays show how much nail matrix is damaged ?
The matrix will not show up on an xray - only the underlying bone. The matrix can be in a state of 'faint' for a long time before it heals to the point of being able to produce new nail plate cells. This can take anywhere from 6 months to a year. Depending on the extent of damage to the matrix, the nail plate may never be 'normal' again. As long as the root (matrix) was not pulled (removed) entirely from the finger as in surgery, it will grow again.

Old 03-18-2005, 10:19 AM   #7
(female)

Aprilly HB User

to Marti : Thank you very much for your reply !

Old 07-29-2007, 11:00 AM   #8
(female)

unknown123123 HB User
Unhappy Re: Damaged my tumbnail and root - will my nail ever grow back?

i also have a problem with my nail. a few months ago, i had a nail infection in my middle finger and part of my nail was white... so when i was cutting my nails, for some reason i was able to cut under the part i used to have a infection in and not bleed. but i cut off some of the top part of my nail and ripped part of the inside of the nail out...but not all of it. is it completely damaged? i hav found a lump. now i hav a piece of a nail, a round lump next to the hard skin that was growing and it looks like a half moon and my nail isnt growing back, its been at least two months and now i hav a hard skin. will my nail grow back in the future? im worried it wont grow back.... ;[

Last edited by unknown123123; 07-29-2007 at 11:04 AM.

Closed Thread